Got a Feather Portable today

Was only 6 GBP shipped from the States, brand new, including plastic case and two Feather blades. I have a little of the so-called "RAD" (should we change the vernacular since we are UK based?) but I am also a cheapo which helps keep all spending to a minimum.

It looks better than I expected and is quite hefty for its size. Will gleefully try it out tonight or tomorrow morning and give my impressions.

Anyone else have one?

I've got one and it's very neat. I use it for travelling, the small handle doesn't bother me, the head is more aggressive than it looks but shaves fine. :cool:

Pete

Looks like a nice solid alternative from the Tech. Let us know how that shave goes, was that a new one or picked up on the B/S/T? seem nice and cheap. Would be great for a travel razor.

OK! I just shaved (shove? yes, shove). I just shove with my new Japanese Feather Portable.

The only other razors I have are a LUX, a Gillette NEW and a Flying Eagle travel razor (a Chinese Tech variant from the 60s, which I don't particularly like or use). The Feather Portable is the gentlest of these. I used a new Feather blade and it just felt really smooth and comfortable, though it didn't shave as aggressively as the NEW or LUX. I didn't go to town on my beard and tried to be a bit careful and gentle (I can be a bit a careless, reckless shaver) so it doubtless could have been a closer shave. Anyway, my face feels great and smooth, though I look like I have a slight shadow (probably because I'm so manly).

This razor feels quite different to my other two, is substantial, though it is smaller. Handles well and is balanced well. It's hefty, but the handle is a little skinny. Great razor and well worth the 6 squids I paid for it.

I wonder how it will do with a different blade. I'm thinking Feathers are the best blades for me; they don't tear me up or irritate me.

Audio – I bought this from Pauldog via PM on B&B. He also posts on TSD. The razor is brand new in the package with 2 blades, though it is no longer in production. Not sure what year it's from. Paul's price is much better than anything I've seen elsewhere for the same razor.

Ah, Mine was also BNIB. :geek:

Today I used the Feather Portable again but I switched handles with my LUX, which has a thicker, heavier handle. Pretty awesome with a feather blade (3rd shave).

I was a bit more careful this time and got a good shave although not particularly close under the chin and on parts of the neck. The LUX handle affords more control and the Feather head is smoother and thicker than the LUX head. Good combo IMHO. The LUX head also lacks the grooves on the comb that the Feather (and Tech) have, which seems to effect the smoothness in a good way and in some sense the cream distribution, though not as much as with an open comb.

I will continue to switch heads back and forth, try new things, etc., but I this could be a a combo I stick with in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom