Goodbye...

I am somewhat surprised that there has not been a greater outpouring of emotion, grief and above all, gratitude and admiration for a Queen who loved us all and served the Commonwealth faithfully and tirelessly. God rest our Queen and God save our King.
I think it's a British thing that we deal with our grief internally, it's just the British stiff upper lip.
Just because we don't show a huge amount of emotion outwardly doesn't mean that we don't have these feelings, it's 2022 and men still find it difficult to go to the doctor's and say they are feeling depressed!
It's just the British way.

Paul.

I think it's a British thing that we deal with our grief internally, it's just the British stiff upper lip.
Just because we don't show a huge amount of emotion outwardly doesn't mean that we don't have these feelings, it's 2022 and men still find it difficult to go to the doctor's and say they are feeling depressed!

Paul.
Couldn’t agree more, Paul. Gratitude and admiration should be simple to offer though I fully endorse your point about emotional expression. C’mon chaps, what about a simple, “Cheers your Majesty, thanks for everything.”

Couldn’t agree more, Paul. Gratitude and admiration should be simple to offer though I fully endorse your point about emotional expression. C’mon chaps, what about a simple, “Cheers your Majesty, thanks for everything.”
There are books of condolence in every county of the UK where people can leave their very personal feelings and thanks and these book's will remain open until the day of the royal funeral, this would be a more fitting place to open up and express our grief and gratitude to our Queen.

Paul.

Paul.
Very true. I'm not the kind of man who wears his heart on his sleeve. I am also not the kind of man who gets emotional very easily. I tend to hold it together and keep my emotions under control, even when others are going to pieces. It's how I was brought up and it's how I am. I doubt that will ever change. I didn't cry when my grandparents passed away and I didn't even cry when my father died. Mind you, the fact that I never got on very well with him meant that I felt nothing when he died. We rarely saw eye to eye, and we frequently argued. When he died, all I felt was immense relief. I felt no emotion at his passing and I didn't shed a single tear. In fact, I was more upset when we lost our beloved Border Collie than I was when my father died. I hope that doesn't make me sound hard, but please try not to judge me. Anyone who knows me personally would understand my feelings towards my father. Those feelings of animosity were very mutual. We were never close.

Very true. I'm not the kind of man who wears his heart on his sleeve. I am also not the kind of man who gets emotional very easily. I tend to hold it together and keep my emotions under control, even when others are going to pieces. It's how I was brought up and it's how I am. I doubt that will ever change. I didn't cry when my grandparents passed away and I didn't even cry when my father died. Mind you, the fact that I never got on very well with him meant that I felt nothing when he died. We rarely saw eye to eye, and we frequently argued. When he died, all I felt was immense relief. I felt no emotion at his passing and I didn't shed a single tear. In fact, I was more upset when we lost our beloved Border Collie than I was when my father died. I hope that doesn't make me sound hard, but please try not to judge me. Anyone who knows me personally would understand my feelings towards my father. Those feelings of animosity were very mutual. We were never close.
That's so sad to read but I can understand why you feel the way you do.
The loss of a loved dog can be as painful as the loss of a loved person.
No judgement here.

Paul.

We are grieving deeply here in Australia for the passing of Her Majesty - she was greatly loved, and illuminated our shores on her many visits. May I extend my condolences to my fellow Forum Members on this sad occasion.

My Father was a Grenadier Guard, and always kept a photograph of the then Princess Elizabeth on our mantlepiece, taken when she was just 16 and on the occasion of her appointment as Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadiers.

Rest in peace, your Majesty.

Long live His Majesty King Charles III.

I am somewhat surprised that there has not been a greater outpouring of emotion, grief and above all, gratitude and admiration for a Queen who loved us all and served the Commonwealth faithfully and tirelessly. God rest our Queen and God save our King.
I had the same thoughts when I posted my own small tribute on SOTD which was only a picture but the sentiment is there.
The Queen was an inherent part of our society for many of us all our lives. Whether you agree or disagree with monarchy she was an amazing human being. For a girl of 25 to pick up the reigns and make a lifelong commitment to duty and service and uphold it to the full for 70 years is extremely humbling.
Having seen the ceremony of proclamation today, it hardly bears thinking how she must have felt when she did the same thing as a devastated young woman who just lost her father.
We will never see her likes again. May she rest in peace. God Save the King.

@Radar you nailed it with that. She was literally thrown into the job whether she liked it or not, made a pledge, and kept it until the day she died which is longer than most people even live. I'm only 53 so I have known no other monarch but she must be amongst the greatest women of all time, maintaining stateliness and dignity with warmth when all around her have struggled to do so. It's hard to imagine someone else ever doing so, and I feel greatly at a loss for such an amazing, devoted and hard working person who brought constancy in a period of momentous change. I hope its not going to offend anyone to say she was like a grandmother to the nation(s).
Thank you ma'am for your lifetime of service.

@Radar you nailed it with that. She was literally thrown into the job whether she liked it or not, made a pledge, and kept it until the day she died which is longer than most people even live. I'm only 53 so I have known no other monarch but she must be amongst the greatest women of all time, maintaining stateliness and dignity with warmth when all around her have struggled to do so. It's hard to imagine someone else ever doing so, and I feel greatly at a loss for such an amazing, devoted and hard working person who brought constancy in a period of momentous change. I hope its not going to offend anyone to say she was like a grandmother to the nation(s).
Thank you ma'am for your lifetime of service.
Hear, hear.

Back
Top Bottom