Good Technique - How will I know when I have it/What is it?

Good technique should come with time, you will likely adjust sub-conciously to get a comfortable, smooth and effective shaving angle and intuitively know what direction you facial hair grows and adjust accordingly. New Shavers often find more aggressive razors easy to get a close shave with, because such razors often cut through a wider range of angles. A milder razor will often have a narrower cutting angle (the Feather ASD2 being a fairly extreme example of such, it is akin to an on / off switch) and therefore requires good technique in maintaining the correct angle. Razors such as the R89 and 34C are both relatively mild and have a wide range of cutting angle and are therefore great for new and experienced shavers alike. You will often see advice asserting no pressure when shaving, the reality is each razors requires a different amount of pressure, albeit subtle and still a light touch, to get the best from them, this will also come with familiarity. The old adage one brush, one soap, one razor, one blade (e.g. not swapping and changing for period of time) will help in nailing technique.

Thank you Missoni.

Your reply makes a lot of sense to me as it fits with my limited experience so far. 2 shaves with a DE89 and 5 shaves with an R6S.
The DE gave me close shaves but was uncomfortable (nicks and soreness) this was no doubt due to poor technique. I then used the R6S and had a similar shave with the R4 plate, changed to R2 and didn't manage a close shave but it was comfortable for my face. Then went to R3 and the shave was closer and comfortable. today went back to R4 and have had my closest shave yet but with some nicks.
Todays shave was with an Astra SP, all previous were with a Feather, 2 shaves with DE and a fresh blade and 4 shaves with R6.

I will give some thought to reverting to a milder plate and sticking with one blade type.

Why are using so many products and tools? Just start off simple. I gave a friend a Fatip Testina Gentile and, a pack of Gillette blades and some shaving cream which he is applying by hand.
I showed him the angle before hand. He hasn't cut himself, had any weepers or razor burn and is happy with a two pass shave.

Why are using so many products and tools? Just start off simple. I gave a friend a Fatip Testina Gentile and, a pack of Gillette blades and some shaving cream which he is applying by hand.
I showed him the angle before hand. He hasn't cut himself, had any weepers or razor burn and is happy with a two pass shave.
Hi Sabre, thanks for your reply.

I had no one to help me, my Father is a life long electric shaver and my Grandfather, who was a wet shaver, died before I started shaving.
I researched the interwebs and bought the products I thought would give me my best chance at close, comfortable shaves.
One of the recommended starter razors didn't work out so I bought the "adjustable" R6 to see if a milder razor would give the results I wanted.

Experience is something you gain, just after you needed it. :)

Thanks again and happy shaving.

ATB

Thank you Missoni.

Your reply makes a lot of sense to me as it fits with my limited experience so far. 2 shaves with a DE89 and 5 shaves with an R6S.
The DE gave me close shaves but was uncomfortable (nicks and soreness) this was no doubt due to poor technique. I then used the R6S and had a similar shave with the R4 plate, changed to R2 and didn't manage a close shave but it was comfortable for my face. Then went to R3 and the shave was closer and comfortable. today went back to R4 and have had my closest shave yet but with some nicks.
Todays shave was with an Astra SP, all previous were with a Feather, 2 shaves with DE and a fresh blade and 4 shaves with R6.

I will give some thought to reverting to a milder plate and sticking with one blade type.

It can be tricky in the begining; what you are experiencing is normal when starting out - you are on the right path! it just takes a little time. You will get loads of conflicting pointers on what to do, but familiarity and sticking with it will be your greatest friends. Consider for the first few weeks not bothering about a close shave just an ok shave - at this stage do not let perfection be the enemy of the good; the close shaving will come - I assure you. Both the razors you have are excellent shaving tools, you do not need to change razors to get a great, close, comfortable smooth shave.

The Feathers are a great blade, for me, the sharpest DE blade on the market but can take a while to get used to; you may want to consider sticking with the Astra SP for the next few months and perhaps just introducing a new blade on the weekend. (If you want a selection of blades to try, PM me, I'll post out). Note also that your skin likely needs to adjust to a sharp blade being dragged across it and this can take time also - if you can endeavour to shave daily - this will facilitate. Your on the right path, enjoy the journey, you'll be over these hiccups we all get when we started out in next to no time (it is a gentle learning curve) and enjoying wonderful shaves.

If I recall correctly my first DE razor was a Schick Krona which has built in chamfers on the silo doors (it's a TTO razor) and is therefore idiotproof. Regardless, it forces the shaver to use the correct angle and is a fantastic "learner" DE razor. I know it's not as common on the used market in the UK as in the USA however. Of course Schick injector razors do so as well when used properly, but that's another "rabbit hole".

If I recall correctly my first DE razor was a Schick Krona which has built in chamfers on the silo doors (it's a TTO razor) and is therefore idiotproof. Regardless, it forces the shaver to use the correct angle and is a fantastic "learner" DE razor. I know it's not as common on the used market in the UK as in the USA however. Of course Schick injector razors do so as well when used properly, but that's another "rabbit hole".
I have 4 or 5 Schick Krona's, the greatest mildest razor ever. Having said that I am enjoying the Fatip Testina Gentile. It's £15.00 from Connaught.

So pleased to see this post by the OP. I noticed the SOTD post from today....and to be honest the products used were really pretty good. Technique is what needs to be improved. Keep it milder and continue with the Astra blades. I am still learning and can get a great shave from most razors. That is where the 'fun' comes from. Beard mapping is also important. Once you know what way your beard grows....you can modify direction to achieve maximum effect with minimum consequence!

Back
Top Bottom