good beginners razor?

Hi,

I want to get my uncle a DE razor for this birthday. He'll be 31 start of next year im thinking of maybe getting a merkur futur but i dont know if thats a good idea?!

any surgestions welcome :shave

Would not recommend the futur as a starter. Give him an EJ or a Merkur 34C or a vintage Gillette and when he has practiced for a while he can go Back To The Futur.

I'll be off then.

I'm firmly in the Merkur 34C camp, possibly only razor he will ever need. But Jaggers are very nice looking razor, forgiving too as Fido Dido rightly says, there's a lot to be said for them.

Futur is a big, heavy beast for someone who may be more used to a light, relatively long handled disposable head plastic product. EJ or Muehle 89 would be my first (possibly even 2nd) choice. Along with maybe an inexpensive brush & some Proraso sensitive & your choice of middle of the road blades. He's a fortunate uncle to be thought of like this.

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

These days I use only a Merkur or Jagger. The Jagger does not get as close as the Merkur - but it always leaves my skin feeling comfortable. The Merkur gets close but any pressure at all and I'm left with very slight soreness. So that's why I would always recommend a "milder" razor for someone starting or returning to DE shaving.

JohnnyO said:
He's a fortunate uncle to be thought of like this.

EDIT:

yep i hope he likes it.

im giving him;
2 boxes of gillette yelllow 7'oclocks
2 boxes og Gillette Super Thins
2 boxes of Personna
muhle black brush stand
2 alum blocks
a tub of proraso shaving cream
Dovo leather case
& a Merkur 34c
n hopefully a New Forest Tubby 1 in ebony

As someone new to DE shaving myself and having both the Merkur 24C and the Edwin Jagger E87, I would strongly suggest the EJ as a starter. They're both good razors, but to start with, I found that the Merkur left my skin feeling more raw then the EJ. I also found the EJ was easier to get a good, close shave with without shredding my face. A few weeks (about three!) in and I'm starting to get used to the Merkur too - but if that had been my only razor, it may well have put me off.

As for blades, I find the Gillette 7 o'clock Green or Yellow go well with either razor as do the Astra Platinum - in my experience of course - others may have differing opinions! :)

For an absolute beginner I would recommend the Wilkinson Sword Classic. Nice and easy to use and cheap. When your uncle moves up to a better quality razor, he could use the WS Classic as a travel razor. A better quality razor could be any of the Edwin Jagger razors at around £20 - £25. But if you wanted to go a bit further, one of the Chatsworth imitation ebony/ivory/light horn razors for around £35. Ideally, let him choose.

Back
Top Bottom