Gluing a knot into a handle (a few questions)

I picked up a few handles and knots. I'm planning to use bathroom sealant to set the knots, as if I want to take them out I can do so without too much trouble.

Firstly a APSC Synbad/handle, which came with a few spacers. I'm thinking of 56mm to begin with, I generally prefer my synths with a slightly floppier face feel. Is that a terrible idea?

IMG_20230208_162710.jpg IMG_20230208_114159.jpg

Also, is there a good way to get the knot & spacers into the handle without getting the knot position wonky?

Also, how do I go about gluing the spacers to each other? Will using a small amount of sealant between the spacers be sufficient to keep them in place or would I need to use a slightly stronger glue (eg superglue)?

IMG_20230208_114006.jpg

The tall flat top boar (knot from Oumo, handle from APSC) has a gap around the base, so I thought of putting an O ring or two around it. Is there any problem with that? Also, the glue bump is very low, I thought the O rings could eventually be rolled up to give the loft a bit more control when the knot breaks in a little more.

Here is the other one, smaller gap but one nonetheless.

IMG_20230208_114252.jpg

Here they are with the O Rings.

IMG_20230208_162452.jpg

I'm sorry for the question overload, but better to do it now than after the glue has set!

First of all the use of bathroom sealant to set your knot in is ideal if you want to remove later with out too much trouble.
The height you want to set your knot to is totally up to you so no, not a terrible idea.
The spacers can be also set with your bathroom sealant and to eachother..
The use of O ring's is perfectly acceptable, it's your brush, do with it as you please!
As long as the seat in your handle is straight and flat the setting of your knot should also be straight and flat.
Enjoy testing your knots at different heights and because you are using bathroom sealant it can easily undone if you change your mind.
You can always use an epoxy glue once you have found the perfect loft for your knot or just leave it as is, it should be a strong enough bond. :)

Paul.

Last edited:
Floppy Synbad is a lovely fluffy cloud on the face with a good bulb of lather ... yeah, high loft!

If it's your first go, glue the spacers in, let it dry and sit the knot on top. Leave it, come back to it ... a couple of times and see how you like it before committing to glueing the actual knot in. When glueing the knot, use less glue than you think you'll need and press the knot in well. Remove and see how the glue has spread (if at all) and add a drop more glue as necessary. Don't pop what you think will do in one go in case it's too much.

Thanks for the replies & info chaps.

@Blademonkey
Thanks for the info Paul, if it's reasonably secure with the silicone sealant I will keep it there with that.

@Boycie83
It's a 22mm Synbad, and the diameter of the hole is 22mm and it fits in snugly.

@TobyC
The APSC handle has a 26mm hole and the Oumo flat top boar is 24mm, so when the knot is inside there's a gap around the knot. Is that ok?

My solution to the gap of the knot at the base of the brush was to use the O Ring but if you say it might keep in moisture/let mould grow, I won't use them.

@pjgh
High loft it is! Thanks for the tips for the spacers, I will glue the spacers on first then take it from there.

@gile
Thanks for the info.

I usually drill 2mm wider than the knot size but not always. On a few I’ve drilled 3 or even 4mm wider if it’s too floppy a knot. Lots of folk get too hung up on loft height to the mm. I’m no expert though.
Every knot and handle combo is different, you gotta do whatever you gotta do to make it do what you want it to. Loft height is meaningless, if donnie_arko raises or lowers his knot 2mm it will have no effect on the knot performance since he has clearance in the hole. If the hole was tight it would, there is no set of rules that work with every combo.

Back
Top Bottom