Gillette Tech

... or buy a proper Tech for a tenner. Meh!

The year is 1941 and the US has finally joined in on the latest World War but frontline troops are in desperate need of tiny slips of metal that look very much like razor end caps and so the brainiacs back at Gillette HQ come up with a new model sans endcaps. What's our latest model again? Tech? We're at war, right? So, Ranger Tech.

Absolutely comfirmed as true by Krumholz in his 'Alternative Reality Histories of the Gillette Safety Razor Peeps'.

Last edited:
I have just the one Argentinian Tech so no point of comparison. It appears to have a slightly heavier baseplate than it's US peers of the period (13g versus 11g) and remember the blade gap is 0.020" rather than 0.025" which is consistent with a US made gold washed example that I have but not consistent with nickel plate. I have the 50s example.

This chap is showing a material difference in the top caps. It might be a mix and match. It happens. It might just be that top caps were heavier one day and not the next.

My guess would be the former rather than the latter, but who knows?

Yeah, unless it's sealed and confirmed untouched ...

Really, it's trial by committee. If enough people can agree a weight, shape and blade gap for any given specific Tech then we have concensus. One offs with no point of comparison are hard to nail down. Good that the chap found a difference and enjoyed that difference.

Are the Sterling razors part of the later Tech family? Or are they a modern version of the head on a stick ;)

They are the somewhat cheaper descendant of what was sold as the Gillette Double Edge (UK) or G1000 (Germany). Those historical razors had the same head as the Techs of the day, just longer handles.

Yeah, the Sterling (as @donnie_arko says) is quite aggressive. I should check blade gap, but mine are all still sealed. I would guess they're gapped quite a lot more than the late Techs. Those 7 O'Clocks are from India. China also make a Sterling under the new Gillette Blue product.

Back
Top Bottom