Gillette Tech

pre-War (number 8)

... or course if you sand the nickel off any British FB and take a smidge of the brass off as well, you'll be in for a treat!

Did you ever feeler gauge the blade gap on any of these? I did on several a few years back and if I recall all were right at 0.025" + or - 0.002", i.e., the same for all intents & purposes. The only exception is the one "Contract" Tech I have which is milder than normal. Of course, it is not in the best of shape either. As you well know, I subscribe to the more stable blade clamping theory for the post-war Tech theory.

Thanks for your suggestions, gentlemen!

Got meself a structurally sound early Tech and had a fabulous shave today.
I couldn't for the life of me get a post-DFS shave out of other Techs I've tried (much later models).
Too mild to my liking.
Now this older fellow has perfect (for me) efficiency ratio. 3-pass effortless BBS.
I'll probably be looking for the same model in a nicer condition.
But for now here this old warrior stays.

Another question: are there any solid aftermarket handles (preferably in brass) which resemble this particular design?

How is it that modern companies cannot make an accurate tech clone ? I can appreciate copyright, but there are so many clones - why not a precision engineered one that is exact where it matters and thus shaves the same ?

Thanks for your suggestions, gentlemen!

Got meself a structurally sound early Tech and had a fabulous shave today.
I couldn't for the life of me get a post-DFS shave out of other Techs I've tried (much later models).
Too mild to my liking.
Now this older fellow has perfect (for me) efficiency ratio. 3-pass effortless BBS.
I'll probably be looking for the same model in a nicer condition.
But for now here this old warrior stays.

Another question: are there any solid aftermarket handles (preferably in brass) which resemble this particular design?

Good work! I think the quick answer is: no. Unless you know a chap with a lathe.

For a while Connaught did a pretty good ball end handle copy in stainless steel. I can't find it on their site now. No drama. I often find a simple bulldog handle suits the Tech (most eras of it, too) and snagged a cheapo myself the other day from eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203787746023

Thanks! I'm looking for a copy of the original looks-wise, just made of solid brass. I can find no such offerings after a quick search.
Well, the original will do. It's just it feels flimsy. There may be internal cracks or something. I'll use it until it falls apart then.

Top Bottom