Gillette Tech

...IMO, the pre-war is more aggressive than the late Tech, and seems to have a wider usable angle range...

How does the flat bottom Tech shave compared to the New?

Therein lies the rub as many think it's more aggressive when in reality IMO it's simply better blade rigidity. However, you have to pay very close attention to notice (and be familiar with the Tech). As an example, I have a 50's English "ball end" Tech and it shaves just as close as any pre-war I have owned.

As regards the New LC & SC......I don't like them. Too much blade exposure for my face, however others love them. YMMV.

Last edited:
FWIW, if you are a Tech lover then try the Chicom Baili BR171 DE razor as it is a real "sleeper" sold dirt cheap. Its head covers the end blade tabs. Super smooth!! It's what the DE89 dreamed of being. ;)

I received my Canadian pre war Tech today, used a new Lord platinum blade, 3 passes without having to be careful and got a near BBS shave, its the most aggressive but still mild and easy to use of the Techs i have used,
Sportsman
1950s ball end
English flat bottom

The handle is hollow and razor is light but it works really well, so pleased i bought this razor.

I received my Canadian pre war Tech today, used a new Lord platinum blade, 3 passes without having to be careful and got a near BBS shave, its the most aggressive but still mild and easy to use of the Techs i have used,
Sportsman
1950s ball end
English flat bottom

The handle is hollow and razor is light but it works really well, so pleased i bought this razor.
Very cool! Is it the triangular slot version? What kind of condition did you find it in? Your next acquisition sounds like it should be a Gillette RFB NEW!

Very cool! Is it the triangular slot version? What kind of condition did you find it in? Your next acquisition sounds like it should be a Gillette RFB NEW!

Sorry for the late reply, its in excellent condition, only a few small scratches and no plate loss, it is the triangular slot version, it shaves closer than other Techs i have owned, i can feel the blade more and there is more audible feedback.

Last edited:
I do like and use mild DEs, the Star, WS Sticky and a post war Tech to name the SBs in my rotation.
But, I do like a bit of blade feel and if I had to choose one Gillette, I'm torn between the Old Type and the New Improved.

I've used a tech for my last 3 shaves and found it to be a bit mild. I may try the shim method or a Feather blade (which I have on the way) instead of the Supermax I'm currently using.

I like Supermax blades but even their sharpest blade of theirs isn't sharp enough for a Tech IMO.

I don't think you need a shim first, but a sharper blade. Feathers are up there with the sharpest blades, but I find I can get good shaves from other blades for daily shaves anyway.

But as much as I like a Tech it'd never be my first choice for more than 3 days worth of growth (for my stubble anyway!).

The Tech is a highly refined razor perfected over decades of continual R&D and feedback from shavers. Something I've come to appreciate is that even using the same kit over and over and over, it's the shaver that is the biggest variable. Take that to even a small collection and the variables scatter all over the place.

Now, don't read me wrong there as I'm not saying you're doing it wrong and it is right to find combinations that work for you ... for you now. I'll come back to that. You like the razor, so yes, step up the blade to get the feeling and feedback that you're after - some of the blades that I find give that sure feedback that you might be looking for seem to be simple stainless. Check out the humble Wilkinson Sword (available from Sainsbury's if you want a walk in and buy), the Silver Star from Lord, the German Personna Platinum Chrome (seriously sharp and super-smooth), Personna Comfort Coated or for an invigorating shave that no shim can quite deliver, maybe the Shark Stainless? How about go carbon? Treet Durasharp.

... but yes, come back to the same combination a year later, a decade later and you suddently find it all "just works".

... but yes, come back to the same combination a year later, a decade later and you suddently find it all "just works".
Exactly what I've found. I've gone back to mine, my preference is the post war techs with the diamond base plate, and the shaves are so easy, fantastic shavers. So much so, I've been on the bay and got myself a minty new one, the 63g ball end Tech.

Back
Top Bottom