Gillette Super thin WOW!

Being quite new to DE shaving, only a few months, even though I did start as a DE shaver back in the seventies, then along came the trend for plastic razors I just went with the flow I guess, but now i'm back on track and loving it, anway I have not tried to many blades, just a few like Tesco's own brand Wilkinson sword, Derby Extra, which I must admit my favoured blade as been the Derby extra until I tried the Gillette super thin platinum, Wow! what a difference talk about sharp and smooth, obviously you guys know this but as someone comming back to DE shaving, the first thing I would tell any one starting off, get some Gillette super thin platinum blades what a difference this will make to your shave, regarding some of the other blades i mention I could never use them again, what would you say their equivilent are in other makes, because I would like to still try a few brands.

Regards Jamie

Gillette 7 o'clock yellows are well worth checking out, similar to the Super Thins. Astra Super Stainless. Gillette Bleue NOS (more difficult to get though). All sharp, smooth blades. A sample pack from Connaught Shaving is probably a good idea.

Yellow Jim said:
Gillette 7 o'clock yellows are well worth checking out, similar to the Super Thins. Astra Super Stainless. Gillette Bleue NOS (more difficult to get though). All sharp, smooth blades. A sample pack from Connaught Shaving is probably a good idea.

Thanks Yellow Jim, I will definietly be trying those blades you have put forward, looking forward to giving them a go, I see quite a few sellers on Ebay, including someone selling some Gillette super thin platinum blades, and also a few of the ones you have already mentioned.

Regards Jamie

Connaught also has a web store. The owner Paul is a member here. Here is a link to the blade sample packs.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html">http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html</a><!-- m -->

Personally I could live quite happily with just shark stainless, seven o'clock yellows and super thins.

I think you did right in staying with a couple of blade types while you were relearning shaving. You must be at a point now where you can appreciate the effects differing blades give you. I do wonder if I rushed into experimenting too early. I keep coming back to things I originally rejected early in my de life and finding them quite decent - astra's and sputniks for example.

ebilpirate said:
Personally I could live quite happily with just shark stainless, seven o'clock yellows and super thins.

I think you did right in staying with a couple of blade types while you were relearning shaving. You must be at a point now where you can appreciate the effects differing blades give you. I do wonder if I rushed into experimenting too early. I keep coming back to things I originally rejected early in my de life and finding them quite decent - astra's and sputniks for example.
I've done that with Rapira and Derbies (yes, I know, Derby!!!!). Some work better in certain razors than in others

Hi Jamie

I too have only been back to DE shaving for the past few months. I bought a sample pack from Connaught and received a good selection of blades from them. Tried a few, then after reading some reviews online i also bought some Super Thins from them. I really like the Super Thins, like you I find them very smooth and very sharp, these blades are in my top five favourites along with the Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellows), Astra Superior Platinums, Feather and top of the list for me are the Voskhods. I still have many more to try, but am going to restrict myself to blades that are still in production today. The last thing I want is to try a blade today and find out tomorrow that the plug has been pulled on said blade :(

So if I had to put my top five in order of preference they would be

1. Voskhod *****
2. Gillette Super Thins ****+ (got one loaded in my Feather Portable for today's shave) :)
3. Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellows) ****
4. Astra Superior Platinum ****
5. Feather ***+

Of course YMMV

Proudfoot said:
Hi Jamie

I too have only been back to DE shaving for the past few months. I bought a sample pack from Connaught and received a good selection of blades from them. Tried a few, then after reading some reviews online i also bought some Super Thins from them. I really like the Super Thins, like you I find them very smooth and very sharp, these blades are in my top five favourites along with the Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellows), Astra Superior Platinums, Feather and top of the list for me are the Voskhods. I still have many more to try, but am going to restrict myself to blades that are still in production today. The last thing I want is to try a blade today and find out tomorrow that the plug has been pulled on said blade :(

1. Voskhod *****
2. Gillette Super Thins ****+ (got one loaded in my Feather Portable for today's shave) :)
5. Feather ***+

Of course YMMV

Who did you buy the Voskhod from was it a UK seller ?

Cheers

Northam Saint said:
Proudfoot said:
Hi Jamie

1. Voskhod *****
5. Feather ***+

Of course YMMV

Who did you buy the Voskhod from was it a UK seller ?

Cheers

Got the Voskhods from RussianRazor who has now ceased trading :(. Have just been on 100 Voskhods but they want $31 shipping :( :( :( . So unless you buy $75 worth of blades it makes them too expensive - said the man who's just forked out on a Feather AS-D1 :?

Hope this helps ;)

Back
Top Bottom