Gillette (Shanghai) Blades Now Available In The UK

...Need to give them a go but I'd be amazed if they're different in any way other than the printing on the blade and the packaging. To be fair I'll be happy if they are the same because I really like the Thai Super Thins.

They're not. The Vietnam version is the only modern Gillette blade I dislike and I am not alone in that belief.

The blade was not very smooth and I needed an extra pass to get an acceptable shave. The second trip out was much better

Since I cannot find which blade you are describing, enlighten me please, kind sir.

They're not. The Vietnam version is the only modern Gillette blade I dislike and I am not alone in that belief.

Since I cannot find which blade you are describing, enlighten me please, kind sir.
My apologies!! I had my SOTD post in mind when I wrote it. I was using a London Bridge Blade. It seems to have smoothed out for the second shave to the extent that I will use it again tomorrow.

My apologies!! I had my SOTD post in mind when I wrote it. I was using a London Bridge Blade. It seems to have smoothed out for the second shave to the extent that I will use it again tomorrow.

I found the second shave to be better and the third the best of the three. The first, which I liked it, gave me a weeper which is something I literally never see! I didn't even feel it, either. It's a seriously sharp blade by my estimation and that first shave does bring it a little under control. Face stropping? Good luck.

Well, I have just had my first shave with the Super Blue and I have to say it was one of the best shaves that I've had with a DE. I have just two blades that I score a full 10/10 and just one that managed 11/10! 11/10? Yes, the Treet 7 Days Platinum got that extra accolade for not only delivering consistent shaves that felt as if there was no blade in the razor and shaved to perfection, but did that across 7 whole days. True to their advertising!

Yeah, Treet, Schmeet! What about the Super Blue?

I couldn't feel it. I could not feel it! It was definitely shaving as my skin was shaved and seriously smooth. I'm a single pass shaver and only rarely do two passes, for which the shave would have to be particularly special to want to have a second pass or it was so bad that I needed to make a second pass and that would be with a different blade. This shave, I made a second pass because I enjoyed it so much ... so much in fact, I went ATG on that second pass. I never do that!

This, to me, is a VERY special blade indeed and right up there. If it does three shaves of any kind of calibre, it'll be a 10/10. It might grab that 11/10 for delivering what I can only say is probably shaving perfection, and delivering that from a stainless blade.

What exactly do we know about the grind, the stropping and the coatings on this blade? I'll point that first at @Bogeyman

Fellows - I know one or two have not had anything like this experience. I can only ask you to check, double check and triple check that you have good blade alignment and be very careful about removing the blade from the wrapper as that glue is not the strongest. That said, this blade was slopping around in the wrapper then I took it out of the tuck.

Well, I have just had my first shave with the Super Blue and I have to say it was one of the best shaves that I've had with a DE. I have just two blades that I score a full 10/10 and just one that managed 11/10! 11/10? Yes, the Treet 7 Days Platinum got that extra accolade for not only delivering consistent shaves that felt as if there was no blade in the razor and shaved to perfection, but did that across 7 whole days. True to their advertising!

Yeah, Treet, Schmeet! What about the Super Blue?

I couldn't feel it. I could not feel it! It was definitely shaving as my skin was shaved and seriously smooth. I'm a single pass shaver and only rarely do two passes, for which the shave would have to be particularly special to want to have a second pass or it was so bad that I needed to make a second pass and that would be with a different blade. This shave, I made a second pass because I enjoyed it so much ... so much in fact, I went ATG on that second pass. I never do that!

This, to me, is a VERY special blade indeed and right up there. If it does three shaves of any kind of calibre, it'll be a 10/10. It might grab that 11/10 for delivering what I can only say is probably shaving perfection, and delivering that from a stainless blade.

What exactly do we know about the grind, the stropping and the coatings on this blade? I'll point that first at @Bogeyman

Fellows - I know one or two have not had anything like this experience. I can only ask you to check, double check and triple check that you have good blade alignment and be very careful about removing the blade from the wrapper as that glue is not the strongest. That said, this blade was slopping around in the wrapper then I took it out of the tuck.

Wow, what a write up!

I don't want to say I told you so but...I told you so.

... and to think, I've had a tuck on individual cardboard hanger sitting there on my display shelf along with the respective razor for months!

ACtC-3fpWWRsXbj28nQxWVwc46WFUwdcLKtNddfSlM4INMTEmZ-H8eZrdOS4Z5gjvuCiUh-gbV1ZygiCmava3mIWKTbV-yNsewdF22hLBLNV0LPtj--JyXkejZo8ttmkFNDYUlwGEEh7ktHGiLl4wDZJeny4Fg=w1200

Last edited:
No idea but after your excellent write up i'm going to use one for the first time tonight for my head shave. Was planning to use one of the Vietnam Super Thins but your enthusiasm has changed my mind.

Is this blade the same as the Vietnam Super Blue?

I'd have to bust the packaging open, which I don't want to do ... but there's enough on the back to make me say they're the same Made in (Shanghai) China - just for different markets. These (pictured) were direct from China. The Vietnamese ones we've bought in this thread mention Indonesia as well as Viet Nam on the back but are nevertheless Made in (Shanghai) China. I translated the Vietnamese above (page 2?) from the back of the pack:

sản xuất tại trung quốc = Made in China
đóng gói bởi công = packed by machine (literally)
... Gillette (Shanghai) Limited

I'd have to bust the packaging open, which I don't want to do ... but there's enough on the back to make me say they're the same Made in (Shanghai) China - just for different markets. These (pictured) were direct from China. The Vietnamese ones we've bought in this thread mention Indonesia as well as Viet Nam on the back but are nevertheless Made in (Shanghai) China. I translated the Vietnamese above (page 2?) from the back of the pack:

sản xuất tại trung quốc = Made in China
đóng gói bởi công = packed by machine (literally)
... Gillette (Shanghai) Limited

Thanks for the info! I was trying to limit my blade incomings but I think I might have to make an exception to the rule for these!

Back
Top Bottom