Gillette razors

Not sure whether to post this here or in the DE razor forum, but does anyone know why gillette razors always have the short edges of DE blades protruding from the (sides of the) razor head? My Merkur Futur covers them...

Ummm, ...
  • ... greater visibility to recognise potential danger?
    • ... maybe to afford an additional way/place to pick a loaded shaver up with wet hands?
      • ... I dunno.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

One thread I read recently on this very subject over on B&B (but there are a few), consensus seems to be that it was a copyright issue but I will check my Gillette handbooks and see if this is mentioned.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151345</a><!-- m -->

Urban Hermit said:
Razors don't kill suicidals, suicidals with razor blades do!

Yeah, but they do cut the fingers of sleepy people.

It does make removing the blades a little easier if you can get a decent grip on the ends of the blade, it basically means you've got handles on the blade.

True, and I've read through most of the history side of it, with the Prodak - Autostrop part, but I still think they could've made the caps of any razor they brought out after adopting this blade shape wider, so as to cover the tabs when in use: as some B&B'ers in that thread commented, those tabs can be rough in use, and i HAVE cut myself with them while shaving...

It's the opposite for me, the Futur is a good shaver but the overall width of the razor head puts me off a little.

Mind you, I haven't cut myself with the end tabs. What are doing, spinning the razor after every stroke like a tennis player?

antdad said:
It's the opposite for me, the Futur is a good shaver but the overall width of the razor head puts me off a little.

Mind you, I haven't cut myself with the end tabs. What are doing, spinning the razor after every stroke like a tennis player?

No, getting the razor too close to my ears when doing the WTG, N-S pass...

I haven't cut myself with the tabs but every time they do touch my ear on the downward pass I jump, it is just a reaction because it feels sharp but so far no blood loss. The Feather is also the same as the Futur, it is a wide head and no tabs protrude over the edge, I thought this would stop me getting close enough to the side but it doesn't.

The EJ heads have less of an overhang but still it is there, I notice it most on the vintage Gillettes.

Back
Top Bottom