Gillette 'Planet Kind' Shaving Cream

Good on them!

It's easy to sneer at these kind of giants and be cynical about their reasons, as in the end they're about selling you their product ... but let's face it, the era of the squirty can of shave cream really is due to end.

There's some information on their corporate website: https://gillette.com/en-us/the-latest-from-gillette/planet-kind

... and a certain irony that (a) cartridges are being pushed; (b) there are plastic bottles of product. The point is recycling. Yes, plastic can be recycled but only a certain number of times versus metal which can be recycled literally an infinite number of times. This might have been an ideal opportunity to push traditional shaving but again, it's very hard for a supertanker like Gillette to change direction. They could have looked at how to make an all metal cartridge, for example.

Anyway, yes, a step in the right direction and it the cream is any good I'm sure it'll grab a good few of us from the traditional shaving side of the market.

... and bit more about materials and the TerraCycle programme: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Products-That-Are-Kind-to-Skin-and-the-Planet

... and yet P&G stock rose immediately afterwards and has continued to do ever since. P&G are worth over $200 billion. Yes, there was horrendous fallout from that advert and they really, really should have market tested the advertising as well as they market test products. That said, the reason for that advert was to try and drive a new market for one which is across the board understood to be shrinking and failing on its own accord.

You're absolutely right @TobyC ... as noted, it's all kinda ironic.

But, companies are being held to account on environmental matters and (cynically) they need to be seen to be doing something. I don't see this venture as anything like the advert of a year or so ago. I'm sure it makes financial sense (there'll be some kind of industry accreditation, or something ... tax reasons?) to adopt some environmental practices. A good starting point is to use recycled products in manufacturing, packaging and distribution.

While I doubt their motives are anything other than financial, with an eye on what might hurt their shareholders now and for the future, it is good that the big dog is playing ball.

I have to agree -good on them. Nice to have a new product available over the counter.
Other soaps have a small footprint regarding recyclables. For example, Arko and Williams have no plastic or metal. The paper wrapper goes in my woodstove to heat my home. Nothing to recycle.
I hope they don't put any darned menthol in it.
I love the simplicity of shaving sticks, they are occasionally paper wrapped or have minimal plastic (eg the plastic base of the German ones), have a small footprint, last a long time and produce lathers up there with the best.

I love the simplicity of shaving sticks, they are occasionally paper wrapped or have minimal plastic (eg the plastic base of the German ones), have a small footprint, last a long time and produce lathers up there with the best.
Arko_Shave_Soap_Stick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom