Gillette Perma-Sharp

I've tried almost all of them.
nacet and rapira pink are my favorites even if in some sweet razors they seem almost similar to me.
I only adopt the rule: soft blades with slant razors , hard blades with flat head razors .
platinum razor blades with short beard and pure stainless steel with long beard.
Btw secret is all in the technique.
in some razors after several years of shaving I also find the Feather too delicate.

E382E266-324B-40D3-B1FC-8FEBFD4DDFEC.jpeg

nacet and rapira pink are my favorites even if in some sweet razors they seem almost similar to me.
I only adopt the rule: soft blades with slant razors , hard blades with flat head razors .
platinum razor blades with short beard and pure stainless steel with long beard.
in some razors after several years of shaving I also find the Feather too delicate.

View attachment 83775

I like the Ladas and the Voskhod's out of those in the picture. Not sure if the Nacet's are the same as i have tried previously........ All good though. I hate feathers (way too sharp............).

View attachment 83775
St. Petersburg V Moscow

Love Sputniks!

They are made in St Petersburg, Gillette following it's usual strategy of buying the brand and then consolidating production to maximize economies of scale. The Turkey specific branding has been retained as the size of the core market makes it viable. The only blades sold by Gillette that are not made in its core production facilities are a few Indian brands e.g. the Winner, which are subcontracted.

Here's an excerpt from another site (you know, something about ferrets and knives).

Nowadays we only have the Russian Perma-Sharps and an Indian variant of the 7 O'Clock Gillette line but in the past, there have been a zillion variants made in Scotland, New York, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Tanzania, Israel, Turkey, and other countries.

Perma-Sharp was an American Company. The company can be traced as far back as 1955. Perma-Sharp Manufacturing Corp. had factories in New York, East Kilbride (Scotland), Mentone (Australia), and Canada. The most famous was the superb Scottish variant made of Sheffield steel. Rumors say the engineers who worked on Wilkinson Sword's legendary stainless blades were hired by Perma-Sharp to come up with a similar blade. Also, the Australian variant was quite popular among fellow Aussie shavers.

The company lived some turmoil during the '70s when it first was renamed UF Industries Inc. and was later bought by Wilkinson Sword (1976). Wilkinson owned UF Industries (or UFI) until 1979.
What happened next it's a little unclear. Production was resumed in the early '80s in Nazareth, Israel. It's still possible to get some Israeli Perma-Sharp on the Bay, especially the variant reserved for the Israeli Army. The Nazareth plant (not the same Personna plant) was shut down and Perma-Sharp production was moved to Turkey where it became the Turkish barbers' blade of choice.

Also, it is unclear when Permatik Çelik Sanayi S.A. bought the brand from Israel but we do know that since the late 80's Perma-Sharp has always been produced for the Turkish market becoming the Turkish barbers' blade of choice. When Çelik Sanayi S.A. sold the plant and brand to Gillette in 1991 they happily took the money and opened a new plant in Instanbul. They came out with a new blade, the famous/notorious (depending on the point of view) Derby blade (very likely to the same specs of the old Turkish Perma-Sharp) that slowly eroded the Perma-Sharp supremacy becoming the most sold razor blade in Turkey.

Gillette produced the Turkish Perma-Sharp until 1996 when they closed the plant and moved the production from Turkey to the Astra plant in the Czech Republic.

In 2003, a few months before the Czech Republic entered the European Community, Gillette, foreseeing a rise in the labor costs, finally moved the production of both Perma-Sharp and Astra blades to St. Petersburg.

For me the best blades I I’ve used so far are Permasharp, Wizamet, Nacets, Astra SP and Minora Stainless. The latter are amazing in nearly all razors I tried. They s rms similar to the Gillette Stainless in the red and white packaging.

Back
Top Bottom