Gillette or Rotbart?

Hi guys,

Could use your help on this one.

Just got myself a razor and I don't know if it's a Gillette or a Rotbart. Looking at the head I'd say it's a Rotbart, but it seems it says "7 o'clock" on the top part of the handle. And that looks like Gillette. Perhaps Rotbart head with Gillette handle?
Also not sure if it's the original case.

I also checked the "When a Gillette is not a Gillette" thread on B&B, but still not sure.
I haven't received the razor yet, so I only have these pics from the seller.

Any idea's?

unknown.jpg

balidey said:
I can't help, but my wife is going to be upset now I've found another razor I want to get.

Hi there,

Not to enable you or anything but yeah, that's a nice looking razor that you need to buy very soon. Luckily I don't believe they're all that pricey and unfortunately I've never held one in my hand.

Heh, you should also probably take a look at the UK made Gillette Popular. Kind of similar looking piece in an open comb style. Those will cost a bit more than the Rotbart.....

Glad to help,

Martin

This may help........... http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-razor-id-help-please.9751/

sorry for cross referencing another forum but needs must........I think HM's answer is as close as you are going to get. I have a newer Rotbart that looks the same except mine is marked Rotbart.........well I think it is newer !!

Thanks for sharing the link.
I checked collectorsencyclopedia code 2404 and is sure looks like about the same razor.
Could also be a frankenrazor indeed, as I still can't figure out the "7 o'clock" on the top part of the handle.

Can't wait till this razor arrives....

Received the razor today and did some fast cleaning.

There are no markings on the head. Just a little "G" on the ... (don't know the english word, but just look at the picture :)

The shape and the dark color of the handle, looks like a Rotbart. In the top black ring, the word "7 o'clock" is clearly visible.

Still don't know what to make of it....

img09.jpg

img09a.jpg

img09b.jpg

img09c.jpg

Yup - the handle and the head used to be joined... apart from the black tube on the handle it's identical to my Rotbart and I reckon what you have there is a "real" razor made using Rotbart design for the 7 o'clock (same one that lends its name to the yellow/green/black/blue blades) subsidiary of Gillette.

Thanks for the info hunnymonster. Haven't seen such razor ever, so perhaps it's a pretty rare item.
Any idea of production year perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom