Gillette NEW Short Comb set (?)

I have this lovely wee NEW SC.
Shaves sweetly, looks nice too.
The case is a tad grubby but scared to clean it in case I make it worse.
Anyway...apparently the cap is not the 'correct' cap for a SC, and that the actual razor is not correct for the case.
I have read the correct cap for the SC had bigger 'lugs' on the cap, but that Gillette cost-cutting meant that pretty much any old cap in stock was just bunged on.
Will it shave better with the 'correct' cap? (It shaves very nicely now anyway).
Is the razor with that handle 'correct' for that case?
Your thoughts?
Edit: just added a side shot of the cap to show the 'normal' lugs.

Last edited:
I have this lovely wee NEW SC.
Shaves sweetly, looks nice too.
The case is a tad grubby but scared to clean it in case I make it worse.
Anyway...apparently the cap is not the 'correct' cap for a SC, and that the actual razor is not correct for the case.
I have read the correct cap for the SC had bigger 'lugs' on the cap, but that Gillette cost-cutting meant that pretty much any old cap in stock was just bunged on.
Will it shave better with the 'correct' cap? (It shaves very nicely now anyway).
Is the razor with that handle 'correct' for that case?
Your thoughts?
Edit: just added a side shot of the cap to show the 'normal' lugs.

Very nice Short Comb with a common bar handle, why do you think the case is wrong? Use a paint brush to brush it out, don't use anything wet.

That cap is probably the one that it came with, Gillette wasn't very strict about which cap they put on a New or a Tech, and that baseplate will accept most of the caps available at the time.

Last edited:
That may well be as it came from Gillette, they were not too picky about the cases either, sometimes just using up old stock.

I don't care about the cases personally, and I don't store my razors in them, they get put away in the back of a drawer.

If the razor is shaving nicely, and I see no reason it shouldn't, then just enjoy it and stop trying to find flaw in the thing.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
No, not trying to find a flaw in it.
I was curious about it as I have been looking online for a cap to suit my RFB, and a spare for my SC.
A dealer had some caps including the 'normal' SC cap and he said that the case and razor didn't belong together (he asked for photos of what cap I had already).
I've had the razor for years and it shaves just fine. I would like 'another' cap for it and keep the original away (just to keep the Gold from washing away). Then when my Grandkids get it they will have a lovely condition NEW SC for their shaves.
I realise that Gillette was quite OK with using up old stock, or just grabbing what was handy at the time.
Figured best to ask you lot, as you are a fount of knowledge!
I will try the dry brush out today to make the case a tad cleaner too.

Internet pix, they're the same as mine.

iu

iu

iu

iu

Back
Top Bottom