Gillette Milord

I picked this up real cheap and it is, as you can see, in very grody condition. :eek: Tons of dried soap, gunk, crap, detritus, etc. However, mechanically it's perfect. I'll see how she cleans up. Granted, this is not going to be a "Watch us change an engine in an hour at LeMans" type thread. :)

The Gillette Milord is a gold plated Super-Speed, no more, no less. This one is a '48 or '49 after further inspection & the case is wrong. I paid the equivalent of approx. £9.

More to follow.

Last edited:
Co-incidentally I shaved with mine yesterday for the first time in over two years. I had it re-plated in rose gold and it's in very nice condition - a 1949 birth year. With mine I have to ensure everything is very tight - that way I get a smooth and trouble free shave - but if the doors are even slightly open it makes a huge difference.

How do you know it's a '49? From what I read the 'notched' ones before date codes ('50 beginning with V 3) are '48 - early '50.

How do you know it's a '49? From what I read the 'notched' ones before date codes ('50 beginning with V 3) are '48 - early '50.
To be honest I don't know - other than that's how is was described when I bought it. I'm more into straights and have never looked at all the data on models, dates, codes etc., but it was bought from a member on this site so I assumed he was correct. It is notched and there are no date codes that I can see (I used a loupe) so I gather from what you are saying is that the notched design was introduced in 1948 and date codes were stamped from quarter 3 in 1950, therefore it is not possible to date it more accurately than that.

To be honest I don't know - other than that's how is was described when I bought it. I'm more into straights and have never looked at all the data on models, dates, codes etc., but it was bought from a member on this site so I assumed he was correct. It is notched and there are no date codes that I can see (I used a loupe) so I gather from what you are saying is that the notched design was introduced in 1948 and date codes were stamped from quarter 3 in 1950, therefore it is not possible to date it more accurately than that.

I like to try Gillette razors from every era and when they made tweaks to the blade gap & heads. There was a method to their madness. They had some great engineers that's for damn sure. Off topic, but I have been using a 'Flare Tip' Rocket for a week or so off & on and what a sweet lil' DE!! Surely there was a Yank overseeing the Brit engineers on that design. :p That's a joke, son!! (in my best Foghorn Leghorn imitation).

After photos:

Cleaned up very nicely. I need a tad more polish on the head. It took several hours in the sonic cleaner using dish detergent and one 15 min. run with a 1 to 4 apple cider vinegar/distilled water solution. As with all gold plated razors the plating wears the most on the handle.

Back
Top Bottom