Gillette Milord

I picked this up real cheap and it is, as you can see, in very grody condition. Tons of dried soap, gunk, crap, detritus, etc. However, mechanically it's perfect. I'll see how she cleans up. Granted, this is not going to be a "Watch us change an engine in an hour at LeMans" type thread.

The Gillette Milord is a gold plated Super-Speed, no more, no less. This one is a '48 or '49 after further inspection & the case is wrong. I paid the equivalent of approx. £9.

More to follow.

Last edited:
Co-incidentally I shaved with mine yesterday for the first time in over two years. I had it re-plated in rose gold and it's in very nice condition - a 1949 birth year. With mine I have to ensure everything is very tight - that way I get a smooth and trouble free shave - but if the doors are even slightly open it makes a huge difference.

How do you know it's a '49? From what I read the 'notched' ones before date codes ('50 beginning with V 3) are '48 - early '50.

How do you know it's a '49? From what I read the 'notched' ones before date codes ('50 beginning with V 3) are '48 - early '50.
To be honest I don't know - other than that's how is was described when I bought it. I'm more into straights and have never looked at all the data on models, dates, codes etc., but it was bought from a member on this site so I assumed he was correct. It is notched and there are no date codes that I can see (I used a loupe) so I gather from what you are saying is that the notched design was introduced in 1948 and date codes were stamped from quarter 3 in 1950, therefore it is not possible to date it more accurately than that.

I like to try Gillette razors from every era and when they made tweaks to the blade gap & heads. There was a method to their madness. They had some great engineers that's for damn sure. Off topic, but I have been using a 'Flare Tip' Rocket for a week or so off & on and what a sweet lil' DE!! Surely there was a Yank overseeing the Brit engineers on that design. That's a joke, son!! (in my best Foghorn Leghorn imitation).

After photos:

Cleaned up very nicely. I need a tad more polish on the head. It took several hours in the sonic cleaner using dish detergent and one 15 min. run with a 1 to 4 apple cider vinegar/distilled water solution. As with all gold plated razors the plating wears the most on the handle.