Gillette Guard III

It does indeed give a closer shave than the regular single blade Guard, not quite there with the regular Mach3 but pretty close. To me, though, it sorta defeats the object of the Guard and so it was not a format I pursued any further than the one included cartridge.

When I used to shave more routinely with cartridges, it was every few days (or more) rather than daily; this would have suited me very well as the Mach3 format that I used then clogged up repeatedly and I think dulled very quickly. The market for the Guard (and this Guard 3) is for folks who shave less frequently. I can certainly see its purpose.

Me, though ... I keep the Guard handy for travelling and it continues to deliver what I want from it for that purpose. To get shaved well enough with no pomp or fuss and get about whatever it is that you're travelling for.

Well, I guess in the constant search for profit...

BM, for their Indian market Gillette are trying to push multiblade razors but it's a very small market, the barbershop shave is still defacto.

The price of a packet of Gillette Guard 3 carts is 90 INR, which in the city I went to is 4 to 5 barbershop shaves.

In India anyway, I can't see the DE blade being dethroned for a good while.

BM, for their Indian market Gillette are trying to push multiblade razors but it's a very small market, the barbershop shave is still defacto.

The price of a packet of Gillette Guard 3 carts is 90 INR, which in the city I went to is 4 to 5 barbershop shaves.

In India anyway, I can't see the DE blade being dethroned for a good while.
That's extremely good value; I found barbershop shaves to be around 50 INR; I used to go every other day and never bothered using my own cartridges; which unfortunately resulted in a full pack of my favoured Gillette Sensors going rusty!

That's extremely good value; I found barbershop shaves to be around 50 INR; I used to go every other day and never bothered using my own cartridges; which unfortunately resulted in a full pack of my favoured Gillette Sensors going rusty!

Where did you go? I was in the outskirts of Kolkata which is much cheaper than Delhi from what I hear.
In the town I was staying in the local neighborhood barbershop seemed to be an enjoyable place to hang out, it seemed integral to the community.
As for your Sensors getting rusty, a few weeks in India made me appreciate how lucky we are in the UK for perishability aspects!

Hello donnie_arko; I was in Southern Goa; like you experienced, the barbershop seemed to be the place to go for the young guys, who all seemed to take a pride in their appearance. Goa would be quite a bit more expensive than Kolkata, but at around 50p for a shave and another 50p for a haircut, still quite reasonable (I suspect that the locals received a different price to us visitors) and I found the level of skill, care and attention to detail second to none. In the UK I cut my own hair (and obviously shave as and when), but the last time I looked at the prices in the local barbers near me it was around £32 for a shave and haircut! Incidentally; was planning to circumnavigate India on the railway network, before the Corona Virus hit; unfortunately this has now been postponed for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom