Gillette Fatboy Restoration

ajc347 said:
That looks awesome mate. :)

Roy_Drage said:
Not too shabby! Should look good back together v

ChopperHarris said:
This is great - very interesting reading. Good work!

Thanks guys can't wait to get this one back together, not least 'cos I've got two more of these waiting for some TLC :)

Must get hold of a Slim to have a play with once these are done

papman said:
Loving reading this! Put it back together now so we can see before and after :)

Got to paint the adjustment retaining collar first then it can all go back together :)

LeeBot said:
Again this is fantastic and you are a master of your craft. Just had a look at the website and I'm considering sending off my Fatboy for "The Works"!

Thank you very much. Please do they're great to work on I've got three in my "to do" pile and another one incoming soon...The more the merrier :)

Denzle said:
Great thread, really enjoying this one. Well done on a superb job.

Thanks I promise I'll get it finished soon :)

Right Here we go, managed to get some time on the Fatboy today :)

The next stage was to paint the adjustment numbers and the retaining collar band.

They got an acetone bath....

Then they were ready for painting.

First up the adjuster dial.

It really is just a case of, well painting the numbers! Don't worry about being neat, the over-spill can be removed later, just get paint into the numbers and dots :)

Once they're all done then just wipe of the over-spill :) Then we let it dry before adding another couple of coats to really fill the numbers.

Then it's the turn of the collar. This is the bit that sits below the adjuster dial and gives that black ring that sometimes seems to disappear on some replates.

I also gave the indicator spring a coat of red.
Once all the paint is dry it's just a case of putting it all back together.
The main fiddly bit is setting the blade gap.

Once that's done it's pretty plane sailing, "replacement is the opposite of removal" as the Haynes manuals tell us!

And here you have it, the finished article, sorry it's a bit of a quick final shot, I'll do a better one when I have a bit more time.

Back
Top Bottom