Gillette commercial

In the UK at least, Gillette's razors and the toggle in particular were expensive, really expensive!. In relative terms, they appear to be more expensive than the upmarket stainless steel offerings we have today. The average weekly wage in 1956 here in the UK was approximately £10 17s; in 2021 the average UK weekly wage is £568. I suspect that advert was aimed at the upper middle classes in the UK; Gillette SS and adjustable razors would have been out of reach for the average blue collar working man me thinks. Informative post. I still miss our pre-decimilisation currency and imperial weights and measures, I still automatically think in them even after all this time.

In the UK at least, Gillette's razors and the toggle in particular were expensive, really expensive!. In relative terms, they appear to be more expensive than the upmarket stainless steel offerings we have today. The average weekly wage in 1956 here in the UK was approximately £10 17s;...

Probably few in the UK today know that it was only in 1954 that meat was derationed after WWII. That is simply mind numbing to wrap one's mind around. o_O

Back
Top Bottom