Gillette blades comparison

Sputnik ain't that bad. It's just not as good as most other Gillette blades. It's their entry level blade & if I recall it's very razor specific. I still have a few tucks and will use one soon
IMO, most PPI/everywhere else Gillette blades are really consistent across a number of different razors but occasionally there are ones which have a more narrow window of application. I used a Gillette Winner Stainless recently which was a little underwhelming in a few razors, but superb in a Yaqi DOC.

IMO, most PPI/everywhere else Gillette blades are really consistent across a number of different razors but occasionally there are ones which have a more narrow window of application. I used a Gillette Winner Stainless recently which was a little underwhelming in a few razors, but superb in a Yaqi DOC.
Agreed - I now struggle with Gillette Yellows in everything bar my Parker 22R. However 365 blades which I've seen disparaged have done well in most of my razors with the exception of the Lord. Although that does seem to not get along with many blades. Actually it might just be me it doesn't get along with. PIF incoming soon I think:unsure:

Gillette have a pretty large catalogue and your list is certainly not exhaustive, but since your aim is to not waste money I'll drop my thoughts in ... which largely echo above. I'm not a massive fan, generally, of the Russian made blades and have an erring towards the Indian blades as my preference. I also have a personal preference for plain stainless over platinum.

Gillette PermaSharp (Russia) - a 9/10 for me, very sharp, yet comfortable and consistent
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow/Russia) - 9/10 again, super-sharp (probably the sharpest from the Russian plant)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black/India) - 8.5/10 super-smooth and good lifespan (probably the best from the Indian plant)
Gillette Winner Special Platinum (India) - 9/10 not as smooth as the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum but definitely a "Winner"
Gillette London Bridge (Shanghai) - 8/10 seethingly sharp, almost vampiric! Probably Gillette's sharpest?
Gillette Super Blue (Shanghai) - 10/10 almost perfect balance of sharpness, smoothness, comfort and consistency

Not dissimilar to my favourites, although I would probably pass on the 'Winner'.

The new Minora Stainless is IMHO at least as good as the Perma-sharp. May even deserve +0.5 in terms of ratings
The Super Nacet and Goal out of Shanghai (unobtainable directly in the UK) are likewise on a par with the Super Blue

Platinum coated blades out of St Petersburg e.g. Gillette Platinum, Silver Blue & Rubie are without exception dull and tuggy to me. NOS Gillette Platinum blades made in England are absolutely sublime in terms of smoothness and sharpness, but not particularly long lasting. Similarly the infamous 'Swede' (named by someone with the same amount of intelligence as the afore mentioned vegetable) probably made in the Czech Republic is another great allrounder. A tad less smooth than the English Platinum, but longer lasting

Back
Top Bottom