Gillette blades comparison

Hi all,
Trying to see which blades i have to try next and try to avoid the "buy them all" move . I have tried already some like nacets, London bridge, blue from bigdealsmart but the catalogue is massive. I have very dense whiskers and using my rockwell 6c in R5 every day (or every 2 days) so I am looking for sharp ones. Till now, the London bridge suits me better.

Any one with a big collection already can compare these with the: 7 o clock yellow, green, green permasharp, permasharp, black, minoras, rubies, and thins (Thai or Vietnam)?

Thanks and I hope I don't replicate the question.

Hi, is there any reason why you’re focused solely on Gillette blades? The Feather blades are really sharp and scythe through a heavy beard. I also like the Astra green blades, which are very inexpensive. I realise that’s not the question you asked, though.

I like the Indian Super Platinum Black blades. My second faves are the Silver Blues.
I've tried most of the Gillette blades available and those two are the only ones I've ever really got on with.

I've tried all the ones you mentioned over the years and by far my favorite are the Indian Super Platinum Blacks. I don't tend to use any of the Russian made blades anymore because I found I got consistently better shaves with the Indian ones. As with all blade opinions YMMV but I'd highly recommend giving the Blacks a try.

Gillette have a pretty large catalogue and your list is certainly not exhaustive, but since your aim is to not waste money I'll drop my thoughts in ... which largely echo above. I'm not a massive fan, generally, of the Russian made blades and have an erring towards the Indian blades as my preference. I also have a personal preference for plain stainless over platinum.

Gillette PermaSharp (Russia) - a 9/10 for me, very sharp, yet comfortable and consistent
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow/Russia) - 9/10 again, super-sharp (probably the sharpest from the Russian plant)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black/India) - 8.5/10 super-smooth and good lifespan (probably the best from the Indian plant)
Gillette Winner Special Platinum (India) - 9/10 not as smooth as the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum but definitely a "Winner"
Gillette London Bridge (Shanghai) - 8/10 seethingly sharp, almost vampiric! Probably Gillette's sharpest?
Gillette Super Blue (Shanghai) - 10/10 almost perfect balance of sharpness, smoothness, comfort and consistency

I don't believe for a moment that any Gillette blade is actually scientifically "sharper" than another in their line. I think they grind them all to the same level, BUT change the hone angle and the level of edge hardness. That IMO is the only difference. That is why a Sputnik shaves differently than a Rubie.

Does any one actually know for sure how the St Petersburg factory produces so many ‘different‘ blades?
Do they come off different production lines with different grinding and honing machines? Do they use different steels and coatings For the various blades? Or do they just programme grind angles slightly differently? Are there different degrees or variations of honing processes to create smoothness as well as sharpness?
Because there do seem to be large differences in sharpness, smoothness and longevity across the brands?

Last edited:
Does any one actually know for sure how the St Petersburg factory produces so many ‘different‘ blades?
Do they come off different production lines with different grinding and honing machines? Do they use different steels and coatings For the various blades? Or do they just programme grind angles slightly differently? Are there different degrees or numbers of honing processes to create smoothness as well as sharpness?
Because there seem to be large differences in sharpness, smoothness and longevity across the brands?
My understanding is the the factory is geared up to do a massive run of one or two particular blades and is then changed accordingly for the next run etc. This is why you see a couple of years between blade batch dates.

@Bogeyman believes that its the hone that's changed

Back
Top Bottom