Gillette 7 O'clock Review

A question for the experts :roll: Why is it that I get a smooth shave from 7 O'clock Green, but the 7 O'clock Yellow rips into my face?
Angle and technique are the same, so it must be something to do with the blade.
This morning I was left with 5-6 weepers after my :shave

Re: Gillette 7 O'clock

From your picture I conclude you are using the wrong blade entirely. You should be using 7 O'Clock Blacks, Captain Black. :lol: Seriously though, try them.

No expert, but yellows imo are sharper than greens. Maybe if you used a less aggressive razor with the yellows the combination would be better.

Bottom line, I suppose, is YMMV. Each to his own tastes and preferences.

Not tried the yellows yet (have a pack from Kev to try) but got on well enough with the greens to order and receive 50 of them earlier this week.

I'm a fan of both. I find the green super stainless (the Russian greens) are extremely smooth and fairly sharp but only last me 3 shaves or so. The Yellow sharpedge are sharper, but admitedly are slightly rough on first shave... they do get smoother after that and they seem to last longer, usually 5 shaves for me.
Everyone differs but the answer seems simple to me, get rid of your yellows and stick with greens. Must admit, I prefer the green though I think we're probably in a minority.

Love my yellows,find them very consistent,sharp and smooth. You gotta bare in mind that a blade can be great for one and terrible for another

i'm currently testing my first yellow sharp edge and it's been just average

i did put that down to some rushed\piss poor prep but you could be right

Canuck said:
I'm a fan of both. I find the green super stainless (the Russian greens) are extremely smooth and fairly sharp but only last me 3 shaves or so. The Yellow sharpedge are sharper, but admitedly are slightly rough on first shave... they do get smoother after that and they seem to last longer, usually 5 shaves for me.
Everyone differs but the answer seems simple to me, get rid of your yellows and stick with greens. Must admit, I prefer the green though I think we're probably in a minority.

I've been using the Yellows (two boxes from Russia courtesy of shaving-shack.com), they're a little aggressive on days one and two, but days three are a lot softer (on day one I use side A and on day two I use side B, three and four use A and B respectively). Each day has two passes, first WTG and second XTG. By day five though the blades just don't have a sufficiently sharp enough cutting edge to complete the job with any success.

They're very comparable to Derby blades, but on days three and four they're just a little more forgiving. Not bad at all.

A little interesting how on the box the blades are using the USA trademark. Their contents is made in Russia, but if you wish to write to Gillette then you can use their UAE address. Strange world how it's all segmented to totally different places.

eneville said:
Canuck said:

I've been using the Yellows (two boxes from Russia courtesy of shaving-shack.com), they're a little aggressive on days one and two, but days three are a lot softer (on day one I use side A and on day two I use side B, three and four use A and B respectively). Each day has two passes, first WTG and second XTG. By day five though the blades just don't have a sufficiently sharp enough cutting edge to complete the job with any success.

They're very comparable to Derby blades, but on days three and four they're just a little more forgiving. Not bad at all.

A little interesting how on the box the blades are using the USA trademark. Their contents is made in Russia, but if you wish to write to Gillette then you can use their UAE address. Strange world how it's all segmented to totally different places.

You compared Yellows to Derby's. I need to go and lie down somewhere quiet. I'll be alright, don't worry about me.

49er said:
eneville said:
Canuck said:

You compared Yellows to Derby's. I need to go and lie down somewhere quiet. I'll be alright, don't worry about me.

Same here as well!

I have just picked up my lower jaw from the floor ;)

Me an' all! Very surprised... and I'm not even a Derby hater. Very few blades come close to 7's in my view, but that's why we all have different views I suppose.

I haven't tried the greens, but it sounds like perhaps I ought to if I was still buying blades. The yellows are a bit on the crisp side in my experience, but good by modern standards and long lasting too.

Canuck said:
Me an' all! Very surprised... and I'm not even a Derby hater. Very few blades come close to 7's in my view, but that's why we all have different views I suppose.

They're all just pieces of metal with a cutting edge. I have noticed a little perhaps maybe the handle is putting some slight ripples in the blade that the derbys are not, could be because the is less material in the sevens. Has anyone taken a micrometer to the blades and produced statistics?

eneville said:
Canuck said:

They're all just pieces of metal with a cutting edge. I have noticed a little perhaps maybe the handle is putting some slight ripples in the blade that the derbys are not, could be because the is less material in the sevens. Has anyone taken a micrometer to the blades and produced statistics?

The Titanic was a piece of metal with a cutting edge :D

Back
Top Bottom