Gifts

Years ago, my family and I stoped giving gifts as were simply exchanging gift cards. Anyway within the last few years we started gifting again. What are your ideas for gifts?

This year my brother will receive a Opinel No 8 knife and belt scabbard.

The year before he received a mens manicure set from Zwilling, and the year before a tankard.

He has designed stubble and uses the Philips One Blade, so has no interest in shaving gear.

Women automatically receive their favourite fragrances.

No one is a strong alcohol drinker, so no expensive Cognac or Malts.

I am probably now stumped with gourmet food baskets and port and cheese boxes the only things left...

Last edited:
I just opened a country wear catalogue. So more ideas are Cashmere gloves, scarf, beanie or set. Potentially leather gloves too.

My Dad has a beard, my brother a shadow, my partner has a Venus.

Another idea will be a pen - roller, ballpoint or fountain.

@Sabre you could get a framed family tree, they're really nice with all the names of everyone with cool designs

there's even some family trees which use those scrabble style letters too, which is a nice touch if by chance they like the game scrabble too

on a side not look at Instagram,
some good personalized stuff for sale,
just search random hashtags or words and you'll find something good hopefully from good sellers

got my sister a black hoodie with her name printed in arabic with her name in english underneath in the gold colour,
she loves it and says it reminds her of us whenever she wears it

if your pops got a beard you could get a nice beard grooming set, like nice brush whether it's boar or synthetic nylon with comb, beard oil etc

do keep us updated with what you decide to get as I find gifting searching to be a pain in the backside lol

I'm quite curmudgeonly, partly because I find thinking of ideas for people very hard, and like you say, when it gets to the point of swapping cheques and gift cards there is only a race to the bottom of who gave the least/most. Great for kids who are into stuff you've never heard of like Roblox etc but empty when swapped with adults.

Even with the Mrs, if she asks me what I want I just say "a nice evening" and we spend our gift money on food.

I am getting my best mate some Bridgedale socks for his birthday, sounds dull but he's been on about wanting quality socks for decades, no idea why he doesn't just buy them himself but I know he will be chuffed cos it shows I listen!

Cashmere scarves are wonderful, the sort of thing nobody buys for themselves as they're extravagant (to me anyway) but so nice when you have one. Had one years ago and would like one again.

Tesco gift vouchers if all else fails. Boring maybe, but not as lacking in imagination as you might think.
If the recipient is switched on they can actually use the Tesco voucher to buy another voucher for a store / outlet that might suit them better.
Tesco sell vouchers for many other stores and outlets.
e.g. Last year I used Tesco vouchers to buy Debenhams / Next vouchers for the same value
* I'm sure most of the other supermarkets are the same. Tesco is just an example that I've used.

Oh, I've found a new hobby for myself. I recently listened to music on a vinyl for the first time at a conscious age. And now I want a vinyl record player. I have already told my wife about this that I want exactly Technics SL-1500C
Ah, did the "HiFi Head" thing 40 years ago and still have most of the kit packed away, but haven't used it in easily 20 years. Turntable, pre-amp, amp, tuner and speakers + a cassette deck. Started moving to digital with PCM and BetaMax video tapes back in the late 80's, then mini-disc (still mourn the passing of ATRAC) and have seen mp3 and lossless formats improve massively since then.

Digital all the way for me now, but everyone should experience vinyl at some point to see how its different to digital.

Think I'll warm the system up having read this. I have a pretty nice vinyl setup from when times were better and I had more contacts in the hifi world. Work and stress have led to me ignoring my music, you've inspired me to spin some wax and enjoy it.

I've literally just finished translating an article for a German hifi magazine about a high end hifi battery power supply that costs about 24, 000 euros! Needless to say my gear is not in that league but still makes a very good sound.

I'm reliably informed certain "exotic smoking mixtures" have auditory enhancement properties too.

You could certainly buy a lot of whisky (or grass) for the price of this dc power supply I just translated the review of, that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom