Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 150 blue steel are they any good ?

I have put in an offer on a well know auction site for this razor liked the look if it but don’t really know much about it other than it’s a German one. Any information would be appreciated I believe it’s a vintage one but how old I don’t know. This will be my first blind purchase of a straight razor so to speak. Has anyone else tried one of these Timor razors and are they any good81032AFB-138E-4978-AFB8-88D70C65ABFB.png9A5A48CD-5D69-4DC9-A3F5-E90676CA876C.pngD0892107-4456-42C6-8681-B593235422A9.png36A65D9C-9A85-48F5-8E8A-8128205E1E6B.pngBE3391F3-374C-4B2E-8134-120B512B5902.png387F89BF-5679-4E35-B991-28B32AD6EA73.png

Attachments

• D5A9352D-7CCB-4907-905E-CBE988D60697.png
    D5A9352D-7CCB-4907-905E-CBE988D60697.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 2
Yeah I used to have one, perfectly good standard Solingen razors... Don't pay over the odds for it as they're nothing unique, special or desirable just a good solid blade. Not to be confused with modern production G&F branded straights which apparently have poor grinding. Henckels used a similar style box in the 1950s so I would guess it's from around that time.

Uncertain about the claimed use of "blue steel" or what that even means? On mine it was just a finish which polished off... Seemed to be more of a chemical blackening solution which was intended to prevent corrosion.

Yeah I used to have one, perfectly good standard Solingen razors... Don't pay over the odds for it as they're nothing unique, special or desirable just a good solid blade. Not to be confused with modern production G&F branded straights which apparently have poor grinding. Henckels used a similar style box in the 1950s so I would guess it's from around that time.

Uncertain about the claimed use of "blue steel" or what that even means? On mine it was just a finish which polished off... Seemed to be more of a chemical blackening solution which was intended to prevent corrosion.
Interesting about the blue steel finish polishing off I’ve offered £40 including postage as I will probably have to send it out for honing too even though it says shave ready we will see, don’t know if that’s a reasonable price saw another one go for £60 It’s not immaculate but blade looks okie in photos will have to wait to get it in hand I suppose.

Interesting about the blue steel finish polishing off I’ve offered £40 including postage as I will probably have to send it out for honing too even though it says shave ready we will see, don’t know if that’s a reasonable price saw another one go for £60 It’s not immaculate but blade looks okie in photos will have to wait to get it in hand I suppose.
I think your offer of £40 is a fair one but I would not go any higher, good luck! :)

Paul.

Offer was excepted £39.20 posted will see what it’s like when it arrives it’s my first purchase from an unknown source, kinda had the itch to add another to the collection.
Well done, even if it does need a light dressing on the stones you will have a good solid razor that will last you a lifetime.

Paul.

No Direct experience with them Jay but the vintage German razors were made from some great steel and generally have good grinds. Looks a decent buy.
Thanks Russ hope it looks alright when it arrives in no hurry but would be grateful if you would take a look at it for me at some point if you don’t mind will see how the edge looks when it gets here says shave ready but I’m not really holding out any hope for that looking forward to getting it in my hands though

I had looked at the new ones too but liked the look of the vintage more glad I stuck with the vintage now though think I’m going with a TI for my first modern
For your new razor, take a look at Wacker as well as TI.
Buying direct seems to be much cheaper than going through a retailer - although you have to find your way through the ordering system. You can change the text to English on each product page.

For your new razor, take a look at Wacker as well as TI.
Buying direct seems to be much cheaper than going through a retailer - although you have to find your way through the ordering system. You can change the text to English on each product page.
Will take a look thank you have already ordered a new TI last night but will certainly have a look for future, the collection is growing quite fast will have 5 straights soon I will have a good excuse for purchasing a nice 7 day display case soon

Back
Top Bottom