Getting hard to find a "proper" Barbers in my area

Wook said:
That's not a barbers, its a (very expensive) speciality shaving store. Been in there, decided to conduct my business online instead. I believe they do froofy "treatments" but alas "Shave and a haircut - two bits" isn't one of them ;)

They do a shave for about £15 - but it's not a patch on others I've had... no idea what a haircut costs there, being a la billiard ball myself it's not a consideration (unlike say the best before date on a bottle of shampoo)

My hair has grown to a length which means i can no longer go to my normal barbers and pay the £4 for the hair cut.
Ive now got to go to the hairdresses( :x :oops: :cry: ) my mum and brothers go to.
Im scared. :eek:
Im used to going into a small barbers, with two long wooden benches, an old barbers chair with a small table infront with all necessary bits on and a big mirror. Radio playing quietly, silence, and his Jack Russell lieing in its bed. You get a hair cut and a peice of kitchen roll/tissue and pay your £4.

I could just have my hair cut short again, but i like it long....... :roll:

rangers62 said:
Wook
Aberdeen, mmmm! should get sheared up there no problem.

Baaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha

1gear you shouldn;t have a poncey haircut then ;)

Im not fussy about my hair cuts although I've had a few good ones at a turkish barber but the shaves became ropey because they wanted to give more time to kids wanting stupid shapes clipped into their head. Had a pretty good shave and haircut at a barbers attached to a salon but I had to wait till "the guy that does the shaves" came back from his lunch.

I once went for an expensive haircut at The Mens Store in Glasgow (when they still held their license to sell a vast array of shaving products) and although it was nice the rest of that day it was shite they day after so went back to barber cuts.

Funnily enough, I was needing a haircut in December and I went to Glasgows "City Barbers" only to be told that they were fully booked with appointments and there was already a waiting list for any cancellations! All I wanted was a fecking haircut.

Im sticking by the "men only" rule from now on. I remember the days of old men and the barber smoking, talking dirty, smelling of aftershave and piles of Auto Traders.

I will be trying the barber that Boab and rangers62 go to. Shave and a Haircut for under £20, cant beat that these days.

And for the Scots "Johnny bag for the weekend sir?"

Indeed, They used to give them away.

Was also in a Chewing The Fat sketch about an Italian barber who was "coming to terms" with working in his daughters "salon".

If you follow this link then the clip im talking about is about 3.35 into it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3fhzJhNG4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3fhzJhNG4</a><!-- m -->

Nowt wrong with curly hair. I would go with it and grow an Afro, I would if I had curly hair!

I agree - I've been to many, many different barbers/salons in my time, and 9 times out of ten the men do a better job. Not being sexist, just an observation. I'm sure there are fantastic female hairdressers too, but they seem to be few and far between.

I have had good cuts from women, but the second or third time I've been back I don't get as good a cut, so there's consistency issues there too. I also always feel that people who talk too much during the cut aren't concentrating - just cut my hair damnit! :twisted:

A disadvantage of going to a Salon - they are usually located in an expensive area, so they have to cover their costs with expensive cuts and selling fancy products. Doesn't mean the haircut will be any better than a local barber. All depends on the skill of the individual cutting your hair.

I've been going to a local Turkish barber near me and while they are all quite solemn in there, the guy I go to (I always wait for him to become free) is very good indeed. And it costs £9. Bargain!

Back
Top Bottom