George Best: All by Himself

This is an excellent documentary.

I was lucky enough to see George play on several occasions, along with Charlton etc. when I was a boy. Then, many, many years later, I was in a pub in Chelsea, London - The Phene Arms, I think - and there he was! Sitting at the next table with his beautiful wife and a few friends; then standing next to me at the bar. George Best! Standing next to me! I said nothing. I did nothing. What could I possibly say or do?

Available for one month at the time of posting.

One of my good friends used to use that pub with George very regularly; they used to play pool together. Evidentially George was a very unassuming guy and quite shy. My friend on a few occasions used to introduce some of our joint friends to George if they were in the vicinity and the only advice he gave them was to speak with George about anything other than football.
George was one of the very first if not the first footballing mega stars, albeit he had a relatively short career, he was obviously very shy when he came over from Ireland, probably used the alcohol to alleviate his shyness and of course he did not have the support that the professional footballers have now, if of course they wish to take it.
RIP George.

Last edited:
Yes I've seen George when he played with the true greats at MU when they came down to play the Irons in the late 60's early 70's; I also saw him when he played briefly with Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh at Fulham, when they played Southampton at the old Dell; unfortunately he only lasted a few moments before he was sent off!

Back
Top Bottom