Geo Trumper -shit??

I ended up with a Trumper sandalwood shaving soap once upon a time, and found it utterly shite :D was consigned to use as a bath soap.
Im getting curious to give Trumpers another go, a mixture of wondering whether it was just inexperience and also thinking surely Trumpers wouldn't put out a sub standard product.
I've always seen a lot of bad reviews, does anyone actually have a positive experience of them?

Avoid their soaps like the plague. They maintain to this day there is no problem with them... Pure denial.

If you fancy a laugh book yourself in for a shave at their store, once there ask the barber to use a soap rather than cream and watch him sweat and fumble for excuses why they can't :ROFLMAO:
After the whole Covid thing eases a bit more - I'm planning on going to London mainly to have a look around shaving shops, TOBS, T&H, D.R. Harris.. now I'm also tempted to actually do that - go for a shave at their place and get them to use the soap. Thank you for the idea haha! :D

I ended up with a Trumper sandalwood shaving soap once upon a time, and found it utterly shite :D was consigned to use as a bath soap.
Im getting curious to give Trumpers another go, a mixture of wondering whether it was just inexperience and also thinking surely Trumpers wouldn't put out a sub standard product.
I've always seen a lot of bad reviews, does anyone actually have a positive experience of them?

I came across a pretty good post on B&B about Trumpers soaps (presumably made by Culmak)

Potassium soaps are softer, all other things being equal, but if you look at any shave soap that works well - even the very hard-milled ones - you'll see potassium stearate and/or tallowate. Potassium salts are more soluble in water than sodium salts. This means the soap lathers more easily and also that the lather remains stable. Pure sodium salt lathers tend to be airy and dissipate quickly. When Trumper and T&H switched from potassium palmate first to sodium palmate first in their ingredient list, their soap took a dive. You can have some sodium salts in the recipe - and it's pretty tough to mill an all potassium soap - but if there's no potassium hydroxide used at all, it's a pretty good bet the soap will be a dud for shaving.

This is the ingredients list for Trumpers Sandalwood btw
Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Isopropyl Myristrate, Coumarin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Linalool, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Eugenol, Coconut Fatty Acid, Geraniol, BHT, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Calcium Carbonate, CI 77891, CI 77492, CI 77491.

(presumably made by Culmak)

Soapworks Glasgow. They took on production for the big names when the old factory they used closed down and concocted the same base for them all. One by one the companies abandoned this cursed formulation... Apart from Trumper's who persist with it.

It is believed that all current good performing British hard soaps are made by Culmak, so that's D.R. Harris, Cyril R. Salter, Floris and possibly TOBS.

Likewise, find the soaps crap. Love the smell of their almond soap, but it is just shite ;)

There is a plethora of good and great soaps available, why play Russian roulette with a bad one

Trumpers
Super Bowl GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

I fully recommend their creams, (like others on here have already). The only good soaps I have used are Varesino, theses are excellent. After having wool fat (which I relegated to a bath soap) I figured lifes too short. I now only buy creams. Good luck on your journey.

Back
Top Bottom