GEM PTFE Oneblade Modification

I have ~40 GEM blades I'd like Modification so that they fit in my Oneblade Genesis V2. This means they need the side cut and the rear corners modifying.

Whilst I'm prone to moments of brilliance, I'm more regularly what you would call a cackhanded twat. Is there anyone who'd be happy to (competently) modify these blades for me? I appreciate this is a cheeky ask but I know there's people that enjoy this type of thing. Obviously I would cover postage and you would be welcome to these FOC as a thank you:

What's involved? Remove the spine and crack the back corners off?
The V2 cuts shown in this:

Got to be honest Chris, you are better off doing 1 at a time yourself. You will get 10 plus shaves from it, with your collection 1 blade will last months, 40 blades will last a century.
Just saying;).
Good point Tony but it will probably take 39 trashed blades to get one that will work if I do it :LOL:

Maybe I should adjust my requirement to 10 though

I have two concerns ...

1. I don't have the right tool and buying in would be about £20 ... no biggie.
2. I think I understand why it needs clipping exactly as it is and so too much, it'll slip about, too little and it won't fit. Without the razor, it's trial and error and a case of fingers crossed.

I have to say, looking at it, if you have the razor and bought the tool in you'd probably get the hang of it quite quickly.

Here's an alternative thought (alas, I've not shaved with SEs for a good while and my spent blades have gone in the bin) that if you were sent some spent blades, you could practice on those ... or I have some (5, I think?) unused scrapers that are not great for shaving, which you could have to practice on.

Do you know what is actually involved? Nearly bought the core on BST just to find out the craic. Then again I have a couple of Valet VC1's that do for me.
Spine off, snip, snip, done.

I thought it was that and have indeed done that many a time for the Valet VC1 and the AutoStrop 7 O'Clock that preceded the Valet.

No, it's a case of trying to mimic the large cresent cutout in the FEATHER so as to leave the ledge just behind the cutout in the GEM. From what I can see, cut too much and it'll slop about and too much, it just won't click in.

Here's the necessary tool on UK eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anvil-AV-NIBT-Nibbler-Tool/143413039913

This from a quick search.

Screenshot_20210216-164619_Chrome.jpg

For the Vc1 its just a straight cut.
Apparently the Oneblade V1 does not need anything other than the spine removed - cannot verify. The V2 or Genesis need the extra punch mod.
I was hoping the blade was held at the centre punched hole but without the razor its all guesswork.

I thought it was that and have indeed done that many a time for the Valet VC1 and the AutoStrop 7 O'Clock that preceded the Valet.

No, it's a case of trying to mimic the large cresent cutout in the FEATHER so as to leave the ledge just behind the cutout in the GEM. From what I can see, cut too much and it'll slop about and too much, it just won't click in.

Here's the necessary tool on UK eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anvil-AV-NIBT-Nibbler-Tool/143413039913
I do have one of those tools and a good number of GEM blades. The 40 figure were just the candidates for modification. I think Tony and you are right - I should just practice and build my confidence at doing it. I'll probably get the hang of it after 3 or 4 attempts.

I do have one of those tools and a good number of GEM blades. The 40 figure were just the candidates for modification. I think Tony and you are right - I should just practice and build my confidence at doing it. I'll probably get the hang of it after 3 or 4 attempts.
Well, let me give you those 5x scrapers I mentioned. They're new and still packed in cardboard around the blade so no health hazard! Just warning that if you do get it right and try to shave with one, you'll likely not enjoy it. Two facet, you see ... not the shaving three facet.

PM me your address.

FFS! I kindly received some sample blades from @pjgh to practice with. Got the spines off with ease. Made my marks on the blades using an FHS-10 as a template and started with my nibbler. First notch - looking good - I reckon I can do this. Turns out a bit of the shard for stuck in the nibbler and when I've compressed the handle a second time, it sheared the head mechanism from the handle ..... :mad: cue total toys out the pram moment..... That's the end of that endeavour. It's not meant to be - I'll stick with the FHS-10 blades.

Back
Top Bottom