GEM 1912

I have started usin a USA Ever Ready 1912 and love the feel and sound, I was wondering if a Gem 1912 is the same.
Have been looking for one with UK seller, any clues how to find one.

Hope someone can help.

Ice Tee

There are some subtle and minor differences amongst the 1912s given time and where they were made, but in the main ... they're the same.

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay and Etsy. Look for something with a nice bakelite case, which should set you back only £20-£30 and should be really good to look at. No pitting or rust. One will come along.

There are some subtle and minor differences amongst the 1912s given time and where they were made, but in the main ... they're the same.

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay and Etsy. Look for something with a nice bakelite case, which should set you back only £20-£30 and should be really good to look at. No pitting or rust. One will come along.
Seen one on Etsy but just the razor,no box, £18, is that OK orshould I wait

You can't shave with the box, get a nice '12, GEM, Ever~Ready, and Star are readily available, and the Treet is nice as well. I don't have a box for any of mine and it hasn't affected the shave yet! ;) :cool:

Yeah, quite a drought of GEM 1912s on both eBay & Etsy from UK sellers. Nothing! Keep eyes peeled ...

GEM was generally a brand for the US market. Ever-Ready could be found as Made in the USA and Made in England qute commonly, also (as @TobyC points out) there's the Star brand as well ... again, Made in the USA and Made in England qute commonly found. Folks do say there's a difference in shave between the US and British models, citing the British model as more aggressive.

Back to GEM (which is what you're after) ... these were also Made in England, but you'll almost never see them from a UK or US perspective when searching the like of eBay (UK only vs Global) as the market for these was, I believe, Australia. These are exactly the same as British made Ever-Ready 1912s in every respect other than the brand. There's a British Made GEM shown in the link I put above.

In the US, there were some material changes in the GEM brand. Prior to 1919, they will have a curved top cap and arguably give a smoother shave. After 1919, they get a flat top cap and after 1930 they gain a revised comb, which has the corners shaved off a little and some also marked as "Junior" on the back.

Cheers Paul,

I have now got the right angle and get bbs shaves with two pass. Said to SWMBO last night how good the razor was and got the (not another rabbit hole) look. Later I somehow was looking through the bay when, unbenowen to me the Boss was behind me, I am sure I was deaf for about 20 mins after OH No you wont,was screeched in my ear.

I found a few Ever-ready but it is the Gem and Star that I am after, will have to search when SWMBO is at work and get them sent to my sons house, he can give me them as presents, good boy that he is.

Will keep you Updated, wish me luck.

Hi all,
Things are now getting messy, I have got a British Ever-Ready a USA Ever-Ready and a Brooklyn GEM 2012, now I want to get all the differant ones, can someone give me a clue how many ones there are.
SWMBO says I have lost my marbles but I think that this is the razor for me and want them all, my babys,my lovely babys, come to daddy.
Every one in its box with blades and instructions on use, I am waking up to see if I can find others on the bay, help

Hi all,
Things are now getting messy, I have got a British Ever-Ready a USA Ever-Ready and a Brooklyn GEM 2012, now I want to get all the differant ones, can someone give me a clue how many ones there are.
SWMBO says I have lost my marbles but I think that this is the razor for me and want them all, my babys,my lovely babys, come to daddy.
Every one in its box with blades and instructions on use, I am waking up to see if I can find others on the bay, help
I think Paul may give you loads of info, but really you have a UK & USA which should be enough, though I do recommend the Bathroom/Peerless the last 1912s made in 1951.
Having mastered the 1912, you could progress to 1914, 1924 , Streamline & the start to tackle the Gem family.
I see a Rabbit Hole on the Horizon :):).

Back
Top Bottom