futur advice

So just had my second shave with merkur futur on settings one and two, went down to one to try it.

Both times i have cut under my bottom lip quite badly, and i cannot see why.

So anyone got any advice or tips to help?

Thanks all.

How much pressure are you applying ,I think you should just use the weight of the razor. A light touch .
Are you going wtg,xtg or atg ? I'd leave the atg out. Are you going over the same spot multiple times in order to
get a BBS shave ? just a single wtg in that area. What blades are you using ? try a milder blade maybe.

cozzyb said:
So just had my second shave with merkur futur on settings one and two, went down to one to try it.

Both times i have cut under my bottom lip quite badly, and i cannot see why.

So anyone got any advice or tips to help?

Thanks all.

Yes. Buy a Slim.
The blade gap in the Futur is fairly big. If there is any 'loose' skin, under the lip for example, it will snag it and give you a cut. For me it was a great razor. An every day razor? No!

Glad it arrived CozzyB. I'd just say take you're time with it. The shaves should get better as you get used to the razor. I only shaved with it a handful of times, managed to cut under my nose and lip the first two times out but they got better after that. It seemed a fairly aggressive razor to me, so maybe dial it right down for a few shaves until you get used to how it handles. Unlike I did, I think if you persevere with it you'll be rewarded with good shaves judging by what others have to say about it.

sunburyboy93 said:
Pig Cat said:
When I shave below my bottom lip I kind of curl it over my teeth a bit. It tautens the skin and makes it easier to shave between my lip and my chin.

+1

As well as this, consider shaving across just under the lip rather than down, should help avoid cutting your lip.

yes it arrived great thanks yellow, the actual shave is very close just need to get used to it, possibly only use for special shaves as mentioned. Noticed the gap is around double the gap on my Weishi 2003-M even on the lowest setting, but this is something i will have to get used to.

Im pretty sure it is just catching loose skin as mentioned above as i feel exacty when i do it, feels like the corner of the blade actually catches and goes in, no pressure on it just need to be more careful on less flat skin.

Thanks for the advice all will keep on trying and just take a little more time then i would with the weishi.

Got to say though, i love the look of it, shape and style. Even the shave is very close and irretation free, just need to master using it.

I find performing a "Belm" when shaving the chin helps prevent nasty cuts.
images

Father Ted said:
I find performing a "Belm" when shaving the chin helps prevent nasty cuts.
images

that worked great for stopping cut with downward pass, i dont seem to be able to do Across the grain without cutting myself no matter how i try, Against the grain worked okay though.

cozzyb said:
yes it arrived great thanks yellow, the actual shave is very close just need to get used to it, possibly only use for special shaves as mentioned. Noticed the gap is around double the gap on my Weishi 2003-M even on the lowest setting, but this is something i will have to get used to.

Im pretty sure it is just catching loose skin as mentioned above as i feel exacty when i do it, feels like the corner of the blade actually catches and goes in, no pressure on it just need to be more careful on less flat skin.

Thanks for the advice all will keep on trying and just take a little more time then i would with the weishi.

Got to say though, i love the look of it, shape and style. Even the shave is very close and irretation free, just need to master using it.

Glad you're enjoying it cozzy, it is a fantastic tool. If it could be 'dialled down' further, it would be the best out there.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom