Fury every shave at loss of boar bristles !

Boar brushes rule! Unbleached, untortured, un-chemically treated, man brush! All the poofy softies be damned!!!
Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Out of interest, which Omega do you have? I've had three or four 10098s (the long handle) and a couple of 49s? (the shorter handle, but large knot). Aside from a literal few hairs from first use, I've not had a shedder. Curious!

However ...

Yeah, get another boar in. The Semogue SOCs are really good hair. I ran a couple of them in a few months ago, daily use for maybe three weeks and they broke perfectly at that point. They're not two of my favourites. I got the orange handle one and the white handle. I've also been very impressed with the stunningly cheap 1305, which I've had two of and both were straight on with the job from first use. I don't do any other preparation that just get them into service. Don't force the issue with rubbing the tips on stone or freezing the knot, or whatever else folks do in the hope it will speed up the break-in process.

If you like your boars on the super-soft side, I heartily recommend the Cashmere synthetic knot. Not at all flicky or slingy in character. You can kill the planet further by ordering direct from China on AliExpress :ROFLMAO:

Hi Pjgh,

If your question was to me its a smaller reddish brown handle in a see through travel case. Probably the the most disliked brush (by me) I possess. Sorry dont know models and I've had it a while.....

Almost daily over 2 years

If an Omega boar brush has lasted two years of daily usage, and only recently started shedding and you enjoyed using, I'd recommend just replacing it with another.

365 days in a year, times twice is 730, take off a certain number for the days you didn't use, say you used the brush 600 times? Considering you can pick up a 10066 for £5.40 from Connaught, that's less than a penny per usage. Some of those Zeniths work out about the same as well.

I think it's a small cost if the brush brought you pleasure in the shave.

I’m a lover of Omega boars. My first hand carved brush had a large Omega boar knot fitted in 2013 and it’s still going strong. A little beat up perhaps but still looks and performs as it should. The Zeniths are excellent too. Unbleached or blonde: whatever you like. Me? I don’t mind a bottle blonde but I do live with the real thing…

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion and I decided based on the replies to get a Semogue boar . That was until my wife and family told me that they would throw all my brushes , a Tesco brush, a Semogue HD badger and my Omega boar brush into the bin/ out of the house, if more "shit" was discovered. I will must therfore continue to enjoy my current hoard of brushes until they are completely worn out or knackered.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion and I decided based on the replies to get a Semogue boar . That was until my wife and family told me that they would throw all my brushes , a Tesco brush, a Semogue HD badger and my Omega boar brush into the bin/ out of the house, if more "shit" was discovered. I will must therfore continue to enjoy my current hoard of brushes until they are completely worn out or knackered.
I'd seek legal advice if my brushes, shaving kit, creams were threatened in any way. Do they not appreciate you looking fresh and smelling good? Do not succumb to the pressure of not allowing yourself a few choice items as and when. I was told similar many moons ago regarding my books. I laid down a very clear steer. 'touch my books and there will be consequences, I guarantee it'. The matter was never discussed again. Actually what about wear and tear, if I'm right and you said you have a brush that you have used for a long time and it sheds, chuck it or gift it away. that leaves you with two. One that you may use a lot so will wear out quicker and the other which you may or may not get on with. Therefore for rotation purposes another brush could be useful..... (I think this is a plausible argument, if one is needed at all).

I would tell them to kiss my ass! Trash cans will accept women's and children's "shit" too! Grow a pair and buy what you want.

Threaten the kids with loss of privileges and get them on your side. ‘Educate’ the missus with fact that everyone needs at least 5 brushes due to drying time, anti-shedding measures, skin type, possibility of mould, UV damage, hair variation, etc. Show her the price of some high end brushes and then ask her to reflect upon your cost saving choice. Mention how cheap blades are, how much money you’ve saved over carts, how much better your skin feels, doesn’t she notice the difference, a chore now made enjoyable, helps your mental health and all that jazz. A careful policy of mixed tactics including manful assertion, sweet talking, gentle cajoling and other such nefarious persuasion. Failing that just say feck it and and stand yer ground!

Threaten the kids with loss of privileges and get them on your side. ‘Educate’ the missus with fact that everyone needs at least 5 brushes due to drying time, anti-shedding measures, skin type, possibility of mould, UV damage, hair variation, etc. Show her the price of some high end brushes and then ask her to reflect upon your cost saving choice. Mention how cheap blades are, how much money you’ve saved over carts, how much better your skin feels, doesn’t she notice the difference, a chore now made enjoyable, helps your mental health and all that jazz. A careful policy of mixed tactics including manful assertion, sweet talking, gentle cajoling and other such nefarious persuasion. Failing that just say feck it and and stand yer ground!

I nod to my learned friend Gairdner. Beautifully put. I wonder if your a barrister? if not maybe we should consider a business venture for the defence of proper shaving.
Let me know what you think?

If it helps anyone I have just a 100 Treet blades arrive and two Extro Arzachena Shaving Creams (Pics to follow once they arrive). Why shouldn't we smell nice and look good (or as good as we can).

It's a sad state of affairs that you're having to argue any case for buying a new shaving brush.
The cost of one Semogue brush is totally insignificant compared to the cost of hair products and cosmetics used by most women in a single day.

I'd seek legal advice if my brushes, shaving kit, creams were threatened in any way. Do they not appreciate you looking fresh and smelling good? Do not succumb to the pressure of not allowing yourself a few choice items as and when. I was told similar many moons ago regarding my books. I laid down a very clear steer. 'touch my books and there will be consequences, I guarantee it'. The matter was never discussed again. Actually what about wear and tear, if I'm right and you said you have a brush that you have used for a long time and it sheds, chuck it or gift it away. that leaves you with two. One that you may use a lot so will wear out quicker and the other which you may or may not get on with. Therefore for rotation purposes another brush could be useful..... (I think this is a plausible argument, if one is needed at all).
Never mind legal advice and barristers. . .

Tell them all to do one if they don't like living in your house.
Seriously, with all the crap that women and children leave lying around, a few neatly positioned brushes on top of the bathroom cabinet isn't hurting anyone.

Back on topic . . . . Synthetic is the way to go, they don't shed . . . .

It's a sad state of affairs that you're having to argue any case for buying a new shaving brush.
The cost of one Semogue brush is totally insignificant compared to the cost of hair products and cosmetics used by most women in a single day.
Agreed Radar, but then you don't live with my wife.......... my comments were a bit tongue in check to be honest although my lot do roll their eyes when any shaving gear arrives. Surprisingly they don't though if I buy or replace any aftershave or eau du parfum?

Fully agree Radar, and Paul....

In respect of synths, This was one of my last ones (Yaqi Tuxedo knot) I also had a AP Cashmere last year beautiful.......

Attachments

• s-l64(3).jpg
    s-l64(3).jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l64.jpg
    s-l64.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom