Functionality vs Indulgence - The Strop

So basically you went for indulgence - despite the advice from experienced straight razor users. I did much the same at the stage you are at - my first razor was a Dovo despite all the recommendations to buy second hand. It’s still one of my favourite razors - I hope your strop turns out the same.
The problem with buying the strip of leather approach was that I wouldn't have the hardware for the ends to enable it to be hung up and turned. When I repaired my current strop, which was several decades old and badly nicked, I bought a strip of leather and transferred the hardware to it.

My main strop for 4 years was a generic German "Prima Rindleder" thing, I paid the extortionate price of £5 for it in a closing down sale. One of these:

View attachment 65765

It seemed to work well enough so I never felt the need for another until last year when a second hand Westholme appeared on eBay which I ended up winning for £20 but I think they are more like £120 to buy new (prices starting at..)

View attachment 65764

You get much more leather to play with, in comparison the German one feels like a travel strop. Feel of the leather is also totally different despite both being cow... The German one feels like a very fine suede almost whereas the Westholme is like a high quality leather jacket, supple and with a light sheen to it.

In a nutshell, from my experience, there is little benefit to a higher priced "low end" strop... Specifically from the point of razor edge maintenance, it just doesn't seem to make much discernible difference. However, the nicer strop is far more pleasurable to own and use. I'm yet to use one myself but from what I've read cordovan is where you begin to reap the benefits of paying more for a strop.
I used an Executive Shave strop for 3 years and I hated the process. I then bought a westholme strop, the pocher version of the one you posted above (100% indulgence ) cause they use the same leather and at twice the price (£120 p+p included). It's worthy to me cause I now enjoy using my new strop.

Screenshot_20200921-115122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom