Full hollow vs Half hollow

Having used a new Dovo Bismarck full hollow straight for a short time I have struggled a little with the heavier stubble on my chin. Would a half hollow straight be much of a difference? I've read Neils sticky but what difference would I notice?

I don't want to buy a half hollow if there's no discernible difference or if I'd be as well continuing with the Bismarck.

Those with numeerous straights, is it just aesthetics in buying razors of the same type ie 5/8 full hollow? Or is there a need to rest blades between shaves. I've been using mine every day lately. Would I benefit from buying another or more........

I don't need much enabling :hungrig

I have asked your same questions to the pro's on various sites..the answer is almost all the same..not much of a difference..aernt the half or 3/4 hollows heavier?..or is it the extra hollow ones?... :ugeek:

Blades

You defently need at least two, as what would you do if you damaged the edge and had to send it off for honing. :eek:
There is also the argument that a edges needs at least 24 hours to properly straighten itself. Also the lesser the hollow the grind the less flex of the blade so the easier it will plow through the stubble, but you will get less feedback :idea:

Cheers Eric and Pedro. Like I said I'm not needing a push to buy another one I'm just trying to decide what would be best for me. I was wondering if a half hollow would be best just now which would mean I would have a half and a full hollow. I have a vintage 5/8 I bought from Neil that I would use in the event of an accident :shock:

If I'd be better persevering with a full hollow until i got better with it then that's fine but I'm open to suggestions. There don't seem to be many new half hollows available that I've found other than a Dovo Astrale so far.

I take it a half hollow would be heavier and therefore in theory cut through stubble easier?

simmo3801 said:
Cheers Eric and Pedro. Like I said I'm not needing a push to buy another one I'm just trying to decide what would be best for me. I was wondering if a half hollow would be best just now which would mean I would have a half and a full hollow. I have a vintage 5/8 I bought from Neil that I would use in the event of an accident :shock:

If I'd be better persevering with a full hollow until i got better with it then that's fine but I'm open to suggestions. There don't seem to be many new half hollows available that I've found other than a Dovo Astrale so far.

I take it a half hollow would be heavier and therefore in theory cut through stubble easier?

What grind is the 5/8 you bought from neil. Maybe half or quarter hollow

I can't recall the grind (I do see a lot of razors each day, so perhaps I can be forgiven) and I can't find any details of the listing I made for it (I over-write them periodically to make the load on the server a bit lighter). All I can recall is that it is a good brand and the company that made them was caller Horster.

You really need to compare the profile with a chart if you haven't much experience, but even that is easier said than done - most of the charts are notoriously hard to use with a great degree of certainty, and some have so many minute variations that ID'ing a grind with them is by no means infallible.

My way of settling on a grind is via what I have heard described in photographic terms as 'outflanking' or 'bracketing' - that is, going to a large degree of error on each side of what you deem is to be optimal and narrowing it down. For instance, trying a quarter hollow, then a full hollow and deciding on a half hollow. If you 'bracket' in too small an increment then it is hard to judge results. There aren't any hard and fast rules with razor choices, like most other things in this life. You just have to try some and decide yourself.

Having said that, full hollows should do for most people without a rigorous growth of stubble, and a half hollow (preferably by the same maker so that you can take any variations in grind peculiar to another maker out of the equation) should be a little (and I mean a little) meatier and help with slightly more rigorous stubble. If that helps but you still need heavier help you need to explore a heavier grind, like a quarter hollow.

However, for some of us the difference (between half and full hollow grinds) is so small as to be unnoticeable and it comes down to personal preference, in which case no help can be given - how can you help someone who prefers a red saloon Ford Mondeo over a green estate Ford Mondeo? Main courses over desserts? Or a blonde over a red-head?

BTW If I knew the answer to that last one, I wouldn't be messing about with razors... (just kidding!).

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom