Fudge

I made my first fudge this week. Well, with a bit of help from SWMBO (She Who's Meals Bring Ovations) who got me out of a sticky situation (literally!!!!!!)

Has anyone here tried it? It is made from very simple ingredients but the method is a bit tricky until you know what you're doing. My recipe did not make it clear what the 'soft ball' stage is. It also didn't say that there is an optimum temperature that needs to be reached while the fudge mixture boils away. With a better recipe we may have nailed it first time, but the result we got was a cross between fudge and toffee. Very nice indeed but not quite right. Still, I shall be giving away some anyway. Steady gannets, I meant to a couple of neighbours OK?

Anyway, all in all I'd recommend giving it a go. It would probably take about an hour or so from start to finish. And the result will almost certainly be very yummy! :hungrig

I've made it in the dim & distant past - really need a sugar thermometer though to be repeatably successful.

The recipe I used, © The Milk Marketing Board of England and Wales, 1968, Vanilla (plain) fudge:

½ pint full cream milk
1¾ lb granulated sugar
¼ lb English or Welsh butter
2 tsp vanilla essence

Bring milk slowly to the boil in a pan. Add sugar & butter. Heat slowly, stirring all the time until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. Bring to boil. Cover with lid. Boil for 2 minutes. Uncover. Continue to boil steadily for 10 to 15 minutes (or until a little of the mixture dropped into cold water forms soft ball when rolled between finger and thumb). Temperature on sugar thermometer if used should be 238-240°F. Remove from boil. Stir in vanilla. Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Beat until it just begins to lose it's gloss and is thick and creamy. Transfer to buttered 7" square tin. Mark into squares when cool. Cut up with sharp knife when firm and set. Makes about 50 pieces.

Variants:
Cherry Fudge: add 2oz finely chopped glace cherries with the vanilla
Chocolate Fudge: melt ¼ lb in the milk
Coconut fudge: add 3 tbsp desecrated coconut with the vanilla
Fruit & nut fudge: add 1oz currants and 1 oz chopped almonds with the vanilla
Walnut fudge: add 2oz finely chopped walnuts with the vanilla

Yup, that's similar to the recipe I followed but yours includes the temperature you need to attain. I think the main reason my fudge is more like toffee is that I didn't beat it smooth. I just poured it in to a tin to cool and set. Ho hum! And yes, it would be a goo idea to use a cooking thermometer for this recipe.

Why is it that I find tablet so difficult to get?

I love that stuff. Perhaps the lack of availability is a good thing, or else the stuff would form a large part of my healthy balanced diet.

Back
Top Bottom