Fountain Pen for Grandson

Hi, I saw the grandchildren yesterday for the first time for nearly a year. One of the things that impressed me (apart from the speed of their growth), was the dramatic improvement in my grandson's handwriting.

He is soon to be 11, starts senior school in September, and is mechanically minded (if that makes any difference). I would very much like to buy him a fountain pen, and if he is anything like me, it will need to be reasonably robust. Yes, I could just get a Vector, but I quite like the looks of a Lamy Safari, and I think one of those coupled with a converter, and a bottle of Quink washable blue might be a reasonable start?

Am I close, or please does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi, I saw the grandchildren yesterday for the first time for nearly a year. One of the things that impressed me (apart from the speed of their growth), was the dramatic improvement in my grandson's handwriting.

He is soon to be 11, starts senior school in September, and is mechanically minded (if that makes any difference). I would very much like to buy him a fountain pen, and if he is anything like me, it will need to be reasonably robust. Yes, I could just get a Vector, but I quite like the looks of a Lamy Safari, and I think one of those coupled with a converter, and a bottle of Quink washable blue might be a reasonable start?

Am I close, or please does anyone have any other suggestions?
The safari is a pen that was designed for schools as far as I remember so would be perfect for him. It's got finger indents to help hold the pen properly and is overall a great pen. I have a couple. (y)

You can't really go wrong with a Lamy as a first fountain pen especially as the nibs can be replaced easily and cheaply if damaged. Another good option however is the Kaweco Sport range:

I equipped my elder grandson (10) with a Platinum Plaisir. However, the nib choices are limited (Medium or Fine), and if a wider range of nib possibilities is required, the the Lamy Safari and Faber Castell Grip pens would fit the bill. I have a couple of Lamy pens, and they are excellent quality at a reasonable cost, versatile with cartridges or converter, which will allow for more adventurous ink choices if required, and robust.

My own belief is that the key to getting a child to write properly is to provide a "proper" fountain pen of such quality that the tyro writer is proud of it, respects it and looks after it. I also consider that it's important to see how the young person's handwriting develops, as it may be advisable to change to a different nib to suit it. For example, if it is better suited to a broad nib, then sticking with a fine may be unhelpful. On a side note, there are disposable fountain pens available, and whilst they do the job, I think they give out the wrong "throw away" message and are best avoided.

Whatever you go for, be prepared for inky fingers and suchlike.

My own belief is that the key to getting a child to write properly is to provide a "proper" fountain pen of such quality that the tyro writer is proud of it, respects it and looks after it. I also consider that it's important to see how the young person's handwriting develops, as it may be advisable to change to a different nib to suit it. For example, if it is better suited to a broad nib, then sticking with a fine may be unhelpful. On a side note, there are disposable fountain pens available, and whilst they do the job, I think they give out the wrong "throw away" message and are best avoided.

Whatever you go for, be prepared for inky fingers and suchlike.

I agree with these sentiments wholeheartedly.

My concern is how daughter-in-law will react to inky fingers, which is why I suggested Quink washable!

Unless anyone has any dramatic suggestions otherwise, I think a Lamy will fit the bill. It's just which one.....

Lamy All-star would fit the bill, largely made of aluminium with a transparent plastic finger grip that is shaped to allow the correct holding of the pen, when brought with a Lamy converter will allow the pen to be filled directly from an ink bottle.

Diamine inks are great, they come in a huge range of colours and are water based allowing for easy cleaning should you get Inky fingers and are made in the UK.

Paul.
Edit: I chose the All-star over the Safari because I think there is enough plastic in the world and the aluminium All-star would be a little more rugged whist not adding too much weight.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Lamy Al-Star (Bronze on special offer). I think I've enabled quite a few members to buy this at a very good price and it's a great writer. You can also buy easily replaceable extra nibs in various sizes, or even a full nib and section.
While the same is true of the Lamy Safari, metal is better than plastic I think. But the Safari does have a huge range of colours...........

I recommend a Pilot Kakuno if you can pick one up, the transparent version looks great with the ink visible a la TWSBI but, it also writes very nicely. I haven't had any leaking at all. Converters are available but I have just been refilling the cart with syringes (might not be the best plan for a child though)
If he is mechanically minded then he will also love the Kuru Toga pencil.

I just looked at that one and decided to get one with a converter. Had to splash out on some more Registrars Ink as my bottle disappeared from work:(. The Preppy would have been ideal for my purposes if it was able to use a converter
Brian you can get an adapter for the preppy

Back
Top Bottom