Fountain Ink Pen Acquisitions

Just came across this thread and was amazed and thrilled to see that I'm not the only person in Britain who still uses a fountain pen. I have a battered cheap old Parker that I couple up with blue/black ink cartridges and still love using it.

I've always thought it adds a touch of class to proceedings !

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_013245843.jpg
    IMG_20210812_013245843.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 6
Evidently, "the wish is father to the thought", or something like that.

The postman has just delivered my Osprey pen from the USA. It comes with the two bronze nibs, sections and feeds, in a handsome box with a magnetic flap. Also with it is a "Nib Block Kit", which contains a bobbin-type tool for pressing nibs in and out of feeds and sections, a piece of red rubber gripper, another tool (purpose as yet undetermined), a sample of Noodler's ink and a comprehensive instruction leaflet.

I can't wait to get it all set up.
Osprey_Milano-M5000002.jpgOsprey_Milano-M5000005.jpg

Edit:
It also includes a Zebra nib in its own section and ebonite feed, so three nibs in all. The first bronze nib to try is as wet and flexes as much as the gold flex nibs on my vintage Mentmores etc.

Last edited:
I needed to make some adjustments to the nib and feed which arrived in the pen, and it is a lot better, even though it wasn't too bad in the first place. It can be pushed quite hard on the flex, and doesn't seem to show any propensity to "springing", and line variation is from the skinniest line up to nearly 2mm. The Noodler's "Rome Burning" ink doesn't play very well with the Rhodia pad, which is a pity.
afIMG_0987.jpg

Here is my newly-arrived Scribo Tropea pen, with 14 carat Medium Extra Flex nib and ebonite feed. It's a piston filler, and 45 of a Limited Edition of 50. I have all sorts of different coloured pens, but somehow felt there was a gap for something in a rich plum colour. This certainly fits the bill, and it's also a nice large pen, being 144mm capped, and with a 15mm diameter barrel.

As a flex pen, it's about as wet as you'd want, without pushing the nib. Line variation is about .9mm to 2mm. At the moment, the first fill is Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi ink, but that's a wet ink anyway, and I may have to move to something drier and a little less free-flowing.

afPEN01075.jpg

I have had a bit of a splurge, the Platinum Century 3776 Midnight Ocean was in July, the rest were retail therapy during August.
Screenshot_20210820-154936_Photos.jpg
Sailor 1911 Large - White - 21K Medium
Platinum Century #3776 - Jade Celluloid- 14K Broad
Sailor 1911 Standard - Maroon - 21K Fine
Platinum Century #3776 - Midnight Ocean Celluloid - 14K Medium
Sailor Pro Gear Sapporo - Black - 14K Music
Screenshot_20210820-155026_Photos.jpg

Cult Pens did well out of me. That's it - for now ;)

I have had a bit of a splurge, the Platinum Century 3776 Midnight Ocean was in July, the rest were retail therapy during August.
View attachment 75650
Sailor 1911 Large - White - 21K Medium
Platinum Century #3776 - Jade Celluloid- 14K Broad
Sailor 1911 Standard - Maroon - 21K Fine
Platinum Century #3776 - Midnight Ocean Celluloid - 14K Medium
Sailor Pro Gear Sapporo - Black - 14K Music
View attachment 75648

Cult Pens did well out of me. That's it - for now ;)
Some very nice pens there. I don't think I've ever come across a Japanese pen that was a complete failure. Cult Pens have also been beneficiaries of mine, as I bought one of the Platinum Maki-e models, to go with a plain black PTL-5000, last month.

Yes, the Maki-e is a very nice looking pen, it was on the list, however, it did not make the cut as the Hobby fund was depleted. It will quickly build again though while i get to know these fellaz ;). Still unsure of colour, which did you go for?
T

Yes, the Maki-e is a very nice looking pen, it was on the list, however, it did not make the cut as the Hobby fund was depleted. It will quickly build again though while i get to know these fellaz ;). Still unsure of colour, which did you go for?
T
The Phoenix, because it's very similar to the PTL-5000 in shape, but with different appointments, and both have the 18 carat gold nib in Medium. I also felt, or perhaps whimsically hoped, that a Phoenix might be an apt and timely symbol for rising out of the ashes of our present world.

The Phoenix, because it's very similar to the PTL-5000 in shape, but with different appointments, and both have the 18 carat gold nib in Medium. I also felt, or perhaps whimsically hoped, that a Phoenix might be an apt and timely symbol for rising out of the ashes of our present world.
Ah! The phoenix, very nice looking pen, it was on the list with the Mt. Fuji and the Red Soryu, I couldn't choose. I also like the look of the bronze Pilot falcon and have been looking at a couple of Diplomats, although I do not think I would gain anything from the latter.
Have you any experience of Diplomat pens?
T

Back
Top Bottom