Fountain Ink Pen Acquisitions

Very nice pen. It has a plunger and you don't have to worry about cartridges. I read a lot of positive reviews about TWSBI pens. Initially they had some problems with cracking, but they are sorted now. I have one sitting in my basket for months now... Since COVID, I don't use personal pens at work anymore (disposable ones) and because of that I haven't bought one yet.
The “C” is missing...

@Claus3428

I have the same pen - albeit a slightly older model - and they are great performers for the price - in my opinion. Solid in the hand and well designed - the filling mechanism is one of the best and least messy I have used. I like the clear barrel - not only does it look cool - you won't run out of ink by mistake. The faceted barrel is useful - if you put it down uncapped, it doesn't roll off the table. The nib on mine was a wee bit scritchy at first but smoothed out with use. I hope you enjoy using it - oh - in case you get curious - it's easier to take apart than it is to put it back together. :) - I.

@Claus3428

I have the same pen - albeit a slightly older model - and they are great performers for the price - in my opinion. Solid in the hand and well designed - the filling mechanism is one of the best and least messy I have used. I like the clear barrel - not only does it look cool - you won't run out of ink by mistake. The faceted barrel is useful - if you put it down uncapped, it doesn't roll off the table. The nib on mine was a wee bit scritchy at first but smoothed out with use. I hope you enjoy using it - oh - in case you get curious - it's easier to take apart than it is to put it back together. :) - I.
I will leave the mechanics for a while - suppose at some stage need to give it a deep clean if I want to change the ink.
It's got the medium nib which works great on high quality paper. On cheaper paper it feels a bit rough but as you said the nib will smooth out over time.

suppose at some stage need to give it a deep clean if I want to change the ink.
The easiest way to clean it - I found - between ink changes - unscrew the nib from the barrel - with the piston fully recessed - and stick them in a mug of water - leave for a bit - change the water - and repeat until there is no ink stain in the water - you might want to screw and unscrew the filling mechanism now and again - as if you were loading ink - put the bits on kitchen roll to dry - and away you go. I.

The easiest way to clean it - I found - between ink changes - unscrew the nib from the barrel - with the piston fully recessed - and stick them in a mug of water - leave for a bit - change the water - and repeat until there is no ink stain in the water - you might want to screw and unscrew the filling mechanism now and again - as if you were loading ink - put the bits on kitchen roll to dry - and away you go. I.
Best to use cold water on old pens with rubber ink sacs

Pilot Falcon flying to me from Cult Pens!
Come to Daddy!!! :cool:

Paul.
Nice pen. How flexy do you find the nib? I've got a Platinum #3776 with the "soft fine" nib, which is reasonably flexible, but is so fine it's hard to tell the difference a lot of the time. I haven't really got a hand suited to "fine", especially the Japanese.

I see that CP have the various Stipula pens, some with the flex nib option, but, then again, the Onotos look good as well. I'm resisting at the moment, and staying well away from The Writing Desk, as I've just bought another Edison Collier, this one in Rock Candy, italic nib, to go with my other Collier in Persimmon Swirl. I'm afraid that if I linger there, my mind and eye will undoubtedly turn to the Conway Stewart Churchill Honey Noire, with left oblique or medium italic nib.

Another pen that I've not long ago bought from CP is a Narwhal Schuylkill piston filler. They're good value, although the nibs aren't what I want, but a plain steel Bock italic complete with feed, from Beaufort, fits perfectly and gives a decent wet-ish line.

Nice pen. How flexy do you find the nib? I've got a Platinum #3776 with the "soft fine" nib, which is reasonably flexible, but is so fine it's hard to tell the difference a lot of the time. I haven't really got a hand suited to "fine", especially the Japanese.

I see that CP have the various Stipula pens, some with the flex nib option, but, then again, the Onotos look good as well. I'm resisting at the moment, and staying well away from The Writing Desk, as I've just bought another Edison Collier, this one in Rock Candy, italic nib, to go with my other Collier in Persimmon Swirl. I'm afraid that if I linger there, my mind and eye will undoubtedly turn to the Conway Stewart Churchill Honey Noire, with left oblique or medium italic nib.

Another pen that I've not long ago bought from CP is a Narwhal Schuylkill piston filler. They're good value, although the nibs aren't what I want, but a plain steel Bock italic complete with feed, from Beaufort, fits perfectly and gives a decent wet-ish line.
The falcon nib is quite flexible but it's certainly not a wet noodle.
It would probably be more flexible than a steel flex nib or at least you would not have to exert anywhere the pressure to make it flex but in reality I guess I would call it a semi flexible nib.
I haven't actually applied much pressure because it would be an expensive mistake to make, I have never sprung a nib but there is a fine line between flexing and springing!
I find writing using it with zero pressure a joyful experience, it just flow's and makes some of my nibs feel like nails!
I should think it would be similar to the Platinum #3776 with the soft nib but I couldn't really say if it's more or less flexible.

Visiting Cult Pens and other vendors a dangerous thing for me to do, there are some lovely pens out there just begging to be bought and unless you have great restraint a nocturnal purchase is oh so easy!!!
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Paul.

The falcon nib is quite flexible but it's certainly not a wet noodle.
It would probably be more flexible than a steel flex nib or at least you would not have to exert anywhere the pressure to make it flex but in reality I guess I would call it a semi flexible nib.
I haven't actually applied much pressure because it would be an expensive mistake to make, I have never sprung a nib but there is a fine line between flexing and springing!
I find writing using it with zero pressure a joyful experience, it just flow's and makes some of my nibs feel like nails!
I should think it would be similar to the Platinum #3776 with the soft nib but I couldn't really say if it's more or less flexible.

Visiting Cult Pens and other vendors a dangerous thing for me to do, there are some lovely pens out there just begging to be bought and unless you have great restraint a nocturnal purchase is oh so easy!!!
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Paul.
Very interesting. Aside from my vintage flex pens, the only modern nibs, apart from a couple of incredibly expensive Italian makers, that "sort of" flex are the Bock titaniums, but they will readily spring if over-driven by a small amount.

I've long been a purchaser of pens, but being able to do so quite as easily as now is a temptation too far.

Back
Top Bottom