Found a use for Merkur blades (seriously)

I have despised these blades in every razor I've used... Until now.

I've been putting them in my old ball end Tech and using it for a final ATG pass. As long as you don't over-shave, this combination lets me shave ATG with very little need to worry about nicks or soreness.

So if you have a pile of Merkur blades that you never want to use, and a Tech, give it a go.

NB I have only got this to work with a Tech, other so-called mild razors did not give good results.

I only ever tried one, the free blade you get with a new Merkur. I'd be tempted to go back and try them again but they get such a slating on here, and I own so many good blades, that I can never quite see the point.

Canuck said:
I only ever tried one, the free blade you get with a new Merkur.

It's just a theory, but I believe including that blade with a new razor shows just how diabolical the German sense of humor can be. Kind of a painfull practical joke....

Some people like the Merkur blade, but most don't.

Martin

Hax said:
Not had the chance to try Merkur blades yet, what's so bad about them?

I've used these blades with a Mercur classic, slant and Jagger DE89. They felt blunt right from the first shave; pulling at my stubble rather than cutting cleanly. Using a Merkur blade would almost guarantee nicks and irritation, even afer one pass.

That said, they seem a good match for a Tech. I'll try a complete shave with the Merkur/Tech combo soon.

Back
Top Bottom