I recently posted that I had discovered LEA shaving soap whilst travelling in spain recently. I absolutely adore the way this soap works, which got me to thinking. Comparing its great fuctionality at 1.30 Euros to other expensive soaps that I have tried which work well but not as well, the question arises as why we pay so much for high-end soaps. The key difference m is the scent. LEA at 1.30 euros has none to speak of. The high-end soaps smell great but don't give you a better shave. Is the scent (its form) worthaing 15 to 20 times as much?

Why buy a £800 razor when a £10 does just fine
Why buy a an Aftershave at £100 when a £20 is ok
Why buy more than one blade.
Why buy expensive balms when Nivea does the job.
It’s all relevant

Some soaps are better than others
i like Lea for sure but it’s certainly not the holly grail.

But you do ask a valid question why do we do it

Last edited:
Exactly what Mike says.

I have started spending a lot more on razors. A lot more than I ever thought I’d spend. But I’m still very reluctant to spend more than say £20 on a brush or over £15 on a soap / cream.

Some of the Polish creams for example are ridiculously cheap and perform brilliantly. But each to their own. It’s nice to have a choice and to rotate through razors / brushes : creams and soaps.

But I’m still very reluctant to spend more than say £20 on a brush or over £15 on a soap / cream.
This will change my padawan

Weed Kicks GIF

Compared to many hobbies and interests, this can be relatively affordable to indulge. I've never been one for 'retail therapy' or 'the chase' but exploring this can be done in bite-sized chunks. A new blade, splash, soap, scent, razor, none of it need be top drawer or £££, you can try things out within budget (although temptation and FOMO stalk these boards looking for willing victims!) For me it started off as curiosity, or maybe soap X really would transform my shaves? Sure there are some that work better than others and often the cheap ones like LEA or HWF are surprisingly good. I've got past the point of thinking shaving perfection is round the corner now and if I like the sound of something, I might think "give it a go, why not?" Just a bit of indulgence if kept within limits. And there is always the BST if an impulse buy didn't live upto expectations. Mind you there is always temptation lurking in there too.

I recently posted that I had discovered LEA shaving soap whilst travelling in spain recently. I absolutely adore the way this soap works, which got me to thinking. Comparing its great fuctionality at 1.30 Euros to other expensive soaps that I have tried which work well but not as well, the question arises as why we pay so much for high-end soaps. The key difference m is the scent. LEA at 1.30 euros has none to speak of. The high-end soaps smell great but don't give you a better shave. Is the scent (its form) worthaing 15 to 20 times as much?

The lowly Palmolive stick is a superb soap. Sure, it smells like a chemical closet, but it works.

I will share a secret with you OP as you are new. The fact is that many of the above posters are ugly and quite frankly they rate poorly with the opposite sex. Therefore, they need all the help (and then some) that they can muster utilizing scents, fragrances, etc. whereas a true ladies man (yours truly, i.e., bonafide stud) can simply coast. ;)

The lowly Palmolive stick is a superb soap. Sure, it smells like a chemical closet, but it works.

I will share a secret with you OP as you are new. The fact is that many of the above posters are ugly and quite frankly they rate poorly with the opposite sex. Therefore, they need all the help (and then some) that they can muster utilizing scents, fragrances, etc. whereas a true ladies man (yours truly, i.e., bonafide stud) can simply coast. ;)
I Love You Dreaming GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Why? Well, because we can, because it makes us feel good, because life is short and you can't take your cash with you, I could go on but I will spare you, if you need to ask you probably will not understand anyway! :)

Paul
I agree with Paul - But . . .there is aways some next best razor/soap/brush etc.
It's a never ending cycle of buying new gear, which can be expensive.

If you get results that you are happy with, there is no need to spend more.

Eventually, the thrill of the chase starts to wear off, and without realising it you're back to square one with inexpensive soaps/creams. You re-visit a long forgotten razor, for example a Merkur 34C, and it shaves consistently better than all of your highly polished stainless/titanium razors with exotic sounding names.
Lea is a good soap.
Tallow version much better than the veggie one.
If you haven't tried it, I can recommend La Toja, too.

Back
Top Bottom