'Flare Tip' Rocket Trifecta

I have managed to accumulate the three differently marked Gillette Rocket 'Flare Tip' varieties as well as examine & shave with them. They are marked under the heads either 'A', 'S' or 'II' respectively. The only differences noted are between the 'S'' marked one and the other two. The 'A' & 'II' are identical in every respect that I can determine excepting the marks. They both have the larger Super-Speed style head & the Made in England pointed endcaps. The 'S' marked one has the later Super-Speed style smaller profile head that some say was phased in circa. 1962 and U.S. style endcaps. All are marked Made in England. Some have stated that 'S' marked one has a smaller space in the handle when closes, but I cannot see that on mine, so I will theorize that was due to 'stacking' tolerances IMO.

Regarding shaving differences is far more difficult to say as many Super-Speed aficionados have their personal preference for the larger or smaller head. It's a personal thing obviously and a person need try both. The smaller head requires a little different angle, but in IMO is more nimble, for lack of a better word. Think of comparing a 'Fatboy' & a 'Slim' head as an analogy. I will add that a cheap way to know if one likes the smaller head is to buy a Gillette Knack or G1000 'Super Slim Twist' which have the smaller post circa. '62 head. If pressed to choose I would take the 'S' marked smaller head.

'S' head on the right in the above photo.

'S' head in the middle in the above photo.

If anyone has info regarding these marking then by all means chime in. The 'II' marking was the British nomenclature for 'medium' aggression I believe from what I have read. I will venture a guess that 'S' stood for the smaller head. As for the 'A' I have no idea. :confused:

If the endcaps have come off and the S is unclear / not there then there's another identifying mark underneath the baseplate...

Untitled.jpg

I've used your pictures to the left and centre Bogeyman.

There is the older Rocket on the left, the S mark in the centre and on the right is an American Superspeed from 1956 (B4) where you can see a 2 part erm...claspy thing?o_O Not sure on the terminology here! So as well as English made SuperSpeeds changing to the US endcaps they also changed the claspy thing:confused:.

So does that mean we have older "purebred" English Superspeeds and later Transatlantic mongrels?:)

I think we have to assume there was a certain amount of 'head-handle, handle-head' action going on at the assembly dept. Also explains why you get non-Rocket 'Made in England' Flair Tips.

If you click on the following link you will see some Made in England bonafide Super-Speed models. There was one for sale on Ebay recently that I bid on, but it went too high for my blood. First ever I have seen there for sale:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/

If you click on the following link you will see some Made in England bonafide Super-Speed models. There was one for sale on Ebay recently that I bid on, but it went too high for my blood. First ever I have seen there for sale:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/
Yes. I know. I've owned one and still have somewhere the FT. The point I was making is that Gillette had a big box of heads and they got put on a variety of handles over time.

Yes. I know. I've owned one and still have somewhere the FT. The point I was making is that Gillette had a big box of heads and they got put on a variety of handles over time.

You're absolutely correct and many forget that manufs. do things to make money and not to please collectors 50 yrs. down the road. If you ever want to sell/trade your razor drop me a line. I have a an extra 'Fatboy' that I don't need. ;)

As well, there is the elusive Made In England 'TV' Rocket circa. 1958 that is the only one plated with rhodium. It copies the USA '58 'TV Special' with the special knurling.

This is my trio of freshly polished British Flare Tips:
f4f1307bde283cdbea87c069759b26ec.jpg

Back
Top Bottom