Fitjar Mint (Folgefonn)

I'm getting tempted by a pot of Fitjar cream, probably the mint version.

Problem is the only place I can find it is executive shaving and they want £30 for it which is probably a bit steep.

Anyone care to persuade/dissuade me?

If you do decide to do it, add some A/S balm - I was lucky enough to have some given as a present last week - I've used it every day since and, right now, would not use anything else.

I don't know if it's any help to you, but when I went to ES, Brian enthused about it, but did say it was expensive. The impression I got was that it was high end small production type stuff, and while he did talk about the production of it, I wouldn't like to try to repeat it from memory and get it wrong. They smell nice too!

I'll be that dissuading voice, even though I like the company.
It's lovely stuff and it lathers very well, and it all smells great (I've had about 7 of those sample bags which each give 4 or so shaves) but for most users it's mega expensive. I can get identical performance from say, T+H or Trumpers cream for half the price, and I think of both as being fairly expensive. Fitjar do excite me, and I respect their thinking and their whole mindset, but I just can't afford it personally speaking.

If you can afford £30 for a pot of cream, (and I imagine you can, given the subject) they're really good, but they're not £15 better than T+H or Taylors or Trumpers.

Keeping things in perspective... the cream should last months so is price that much of an issue, so long as you're sure you'll get the use out of it?

Having said that I've just bought a tub of Vulfix lime, to see if I can spend less than T&H lime...

Some food for thought there. Thanks. Still not sure it's worth it. May go with some CF cream and asb.

I think I agree Halk. I'm not rolling in money by any means, but have no real issue within reason on spending cash on stuff I would get use out of, like a decent shaving cream or razor.

If it helps, I've yet to use a shaving cream that doesn't lather up to an extremely good lather. T&H, GFT, TOBS, Vulfix, plus a couple of samples all turn into an excellent lather. They're all reasonably easy to work with, and as long as you're not stingy it's easy to get the cream/water mix right. I don't notice any shaving performance difference between them - although I'm too new to DE shaving, and I change everything else too much to be able to tell properly.

Something I do note though is that some shaving creams are looser than others, which to me suggests I'll get less uses from them, however I've not investigated that much.

I did get a bottle of T&H grafton shower gel and TOBS Mr Taylor's hair and body shampoo today. TOBS would appear to be much runnier, so it won't last as long. Perhaps there's something similar happens with the shaving creams?

My experience of Fitjar:

1). I bought the cream and think it's superb.
2). The soap was bought for me and, so far, I've struggled to get anything like a decent lather. At first I thought it was me But I ended up adding some La Toja cream just to get something half decent.
3). At the same time as the soap, I was given aftershave balm - it's absolutely amazing and, so far, I have used it every day and can't see any reason to change.

It's actually better than Castle Forbes and other British creams. Much better. Performance is top notch (which, in all fairness, you can find for under a tenner elsewhere), but where it really excels is its scent. Really intoxicating and somewhat sophisticated.

Just had first shave with the cream. Overall impressions pretty good. It smells chemicalish in the jar but once applied quite a decent minty fresh sensation. Nothing compared to the aftershave balm though. Wow that is fresh. Still feel the tingling now an hour after.
Only problem it seemed to take a lot of cream and a lot of effort to get a decent lather. Am I missing a trick here or is that just the nature of the stuff?

I didn't notice anything of sort, but again I shaved with the Lighthouse one - but overall very easy to lather. Although base formulation shouldn't differ that much.

Just had another shave with it. Used the same brush. Worked just fine. Have to say the best bit is the balm afterwards. Stuff is real potent!

The 'Shea pleasure' cream looks interesting, as does the aftershave moisturiser. I suppose you could get a 20ml sample but even they are £4.29 (NOK 39) each before posting. For the price of two samples I could get an entire pot of something else...

I own the Citrus Kick and Folgefonn.
To be quite honest they are nothing special.

I will sell the Folgefonn here soon, the Citrus Kick I threw out because the pepper note in it gave my first reaction to a shaving cream.

Xpec and Acqua Di Parma is superior IMHO

Castle Forbes is on par, but takes less product per shave.

I think the 3 T's and DR HARRIS, AOS are all very close to Fitjar in performance. Will not repurchase. Penhaligon - all 3 - are better along with Floris 89.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom