First shave with a G-Bar

For those not versed in the arcane arts - the G-Bar is a single edged razor made by GEM in the 50's. Look it up, it's a cool looking razor.

Equipment used
Clinique Cleansing Bar
Gem G-bar razor
St James Cedarwood and Clarysage Shaving Cream
Ceramic fondue/shaving bowl
Edwin Jagger Large Silvertip brush
Trumpers Fragrance Free Moisturiser

1st pass WTG, followed by 2 x XTG.

As usual, after cleansing, I softened my beared with plenty of warm water before shaving. After the shave, I rinsed with cold water then applied the moisturiser.

Most unexpected for a SE razor, the G-Bar is quite mild and is an ideal early-morning razor for when your brain hasn't fully woken up. Keep the head flat to your face and you really don't have to concentrate much at all. I had to rush this morning and didn't get a single nick. No BBS shave this time, but certainly good enough for a day at the office.

Also worth mentioning is the G-Bar's brilliant grip design. The angled grip and flared base make it easy to hold the razor in just the right position for a good shave. In fact, I would say this is ergonomically the best razor I have. The only disadvantage is that the handle brings the weight of the razor off-centre. So, if your hands are slick with lather, the razor had a tendency to slip around. Just keep a town handy to dry your hands.

If you can find a G-Bar it would make a great intro to SE shaving and may be the only razor you need (yeah, right). If you prefer a frisson of danger with your shave, get a Micromatic :)

Mild. Sometimes it just fun to shave with a razor and a blade that you know and know that you can be careless with. Random passes and at the end just say: wow, that's not that bad!

Back
Top Bottom