First SE shave

Thanks to member Mulligano I managed to pick up my first SE razor last week, an Ever Ready 1912.

I ordered some Gem blades from Connaught on Tuesday and last night was my first SE shave using the Ever Ready/Gem combo.

Initially I looked at the razor and simply thought it was a small bulldog clip on a very nice handle, putting the blade in the next thing to strike was how angry it looked.

However, shaving with it last night I couldn't have been further from the reality. Whipped up some Ingrams and off I set and I have to say it's one of the nicest shaves I've had. The angle of the head makes it easy to get the right cutting angle and the shave was a lot smoother than I thought it would be, in fact it was very comfortable. I love the noise this thing makes as it cuts through the stubble.

Post shave, I felt very nice indeed and some nearly 10 hours later I still feel quite smooth.

The razor itself has a lovely weight and balance, that handle is not only very nicely decorated but has a nice heft and balance to it, reminds me of my little Fatip and even though I have hands on the larger side it feels nice in hand due to the weight.

The only problem I had was getting under my nose but that's a very minor quibble and will probably take me a few shaves just to get the hang of it. Most pleasing was it handled the stubble on my neck which is always a problem for me and usually do a 4th pass to tidy it up, I didn't need that with this shave so that was a pleasant surprise.

A very pleasant surprise from this razor, which is also my first vintage.

A big thank you for Mulligano as well for the excellent and quick transaction.

Glad to hear it was a positive experience. They are good pieces of kit and the Gem blades are excellent, too.

You might become a LOSER yet (Lover Of Single Edge Razors)....

Loads more out there and usually pretty good prices.

Enjoy,

Jon

1+ I bought the other 1912 out of curiosity and Im very glad i did what a great bit of kit.
looks very strange but it hits the spot.

and the gem blades look like there going to be as rough as a dogs arse . but super smooth.
I think the feel of the shave is somewhere near to using a straight makes a great noise

Good that it's worked out so well from the beginning. If only my 1st razor back about 1959 had been a single edge I doubt that I'd ever had any reason to use anything else.
Enjoy !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Hi, glad your first SE shave was a good one :) getting under the nose isn't all that tricky you simply have to go outside your upper lip inwards :)

Back
Top Bottom