First impressions:Ever Ready SE

tc1

I was lucky enough to have been given an Ever Ready SE for my birthday so these are my first impression of it.
Contrary to what I thought ion reading posts on some shaving forums, I do not find this to be an aggressive razor:rather it shaves easily and closely. It's "loudish" as it shaves if that makes sense and the feeling is a little akin to a cartridge razor if that' not heresy here.
People who use them claim 7+ shaves per blade but I'll see how things go on that front.
Will use it for a couple of weeks and then plan to compare it with the Merkur 37 slant that my wife bought me for my birthday too!
Think the Ever Ready will be a keeper though.
What I cannot understand is why these SE razors seemed to go out of fashion/production as the design/engineering appears to result in a simple,robust and functional razor.
Perhaps TSR members can enlighten me on that point.

I have just got 2 and although only used it a couple of times I love it (the wife stole the other last night and loved it on her legs) I'm struggling on the chin with it but have that problem with all that I have tried so far and like yourself don't find it at all aggressive (once I settled to the right angle)
I think it looks great with some nice features and again can't understand why it went out of fashion but then im no expert :D

Not sure I'd let my wife use my razors:the cleaning up needed when I eventually had them returned would take a while.

i'm no expert and these are just my opinion

1, I'm still learning with DE blades, but the gem's I felt were very nice, cost wise just under £20 per hundrfed from the above link
2, I have 2, well I'm guessing as long as the top closes down squarly and hold the blade secure, and well the handle is on securly and none of the comb are bent, you then have any ware on the plating, one of my has very little wear on the handle the other has a little more but nothing extreme for its age, both heads have no plate lose
3, I like the shave nice and close, but I also get this from my fav DE, but that depends on the blade I use as well (like nacets and in all my DE's) its all down to the mood im in - also trying shavettes and just got my first straight, the wife loves the ever ready on her legs
4, my first attempt I had the angle all wrong and had a few nicks and weepers, after that I love it nice and close, under the nose, well I struggle here with all the razors :oops:

Give it a try, what have you got to loose except a little maybe a little blood, I like mine and will always have one in my rotation :D

and as all the experienced members will say, get your prep right and you can't go to wrong :shave

Skin Glider said:
Hello

I have decided that i am not going "Dark" and getting into this too "heavy" like some as i have wasted far too much money on other "projects " in the past (hi-fi and watches etc ) I will limit myself to "holding" 2 x razors MAX ;)

I AM NOT GOING TO BE A RAZOR JUNKIE !!!

Hi there,

That's a very sensible approach to this goofy 'hobby', and you should have no problem staying with only a few razors. Yeah, I wish I woulda thought more like that when I started.

In my case, I was a little upset at the cost of the Mach3 cartridges, and I wanted to find an alternative. Yeah, like many of us here, I though they were too good a deal and wanted to spend a LOT more on shaving crap. I wanted to blow much more dough on razors, brushes, soaps/creams, and the hell with those cheap $4 cartridges. Heh, I'm happy to report I've succeeded quite well in acquiring many items and expending a bunch more cash in the process.

Yeah, you have the right idea about not letting yourself get caught up in all these various things to try. You just need to find the right razor and blade combo and the rest will be easy. Most likely the first or second razor you sample will be a perfect fit! Same thing with blades, and done deal.

Congrats on your no nonsense approach to something so boring and mundane as shaving,

Martin

Oh yeah, Apologies to the OP for partially derailing his train of thought.

Actually, I should warn you about me, seeing as how you're new here. One of the members once mentioned he mighta detected a smidge of facetiousness in one of my posts from a while back. I didn't see it myself, but maybe I'm too close to the author.

As far as any SE I've ever used, the only scarey thing about them could be the appearance. For anyone who's ever used a cartridge type razor the SE will seem very natural to hold and use and it really is easy peasy. I don't often get nicks or minor cuts, however if I do then it's most likely to be with a DE rather than an SE. Shaving the upper lip (for me anyway) just takes a wee bit more care & attention as the angle directly under the nostrils has to be fairly acute. Blades (GEMS anyway) are plentiful from Connaught & I get about 4 good shaves from one . Just for comparison I change DE blades after 3 shaves. All in all I'm very impressed with my SEs ; which isn't of course to say that they'll suit you.

JohnnyO. :geek:

JohnnyO said:
As far as any SE I've ever used, the only scarey thing about them could be the appearance. For anyone who's ever used a cartridge type razor the SE will seem very natural to hold and use and it really is easy peasy. I don't often get nicks or minor cuts, however if I do then it's most likely to be with a DE rather than an SE. Shaving the upper lip (for me anyway) just takes a wee bit more care & attention as the angle directly under the nostrils has to be fairly acute. Blades (GEMS anyway) are plentiful from Connaught & I get about 4 good shaves from one . Just for comparison I change DE blades after 3 shaves. All in all I'm very impressed with my SEs ; which isn't of course to say that they'll suit you.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Agree totally with everything JohnnyO says, i have now gone completely into SE Razors, find them much better shavers than most DE ones i own, much better for me anyway

;)

Back
Top Bottom