First 'half shave try out' with my Rolls Razor

It arrived this morning, and I've spent the past hour or so cleaning it.

Couldn't resist a half hearted semi shave with it.

Once I got brave enough, and really stretched my skin, I've had a better shave on my left jaw than I've 'ever' had before.

Still not brave enough to do a full shave - but this Rolls could be my weekend 'treat' from now on...

Impster

yup. that's 'dwelling' on my mind already...

not sure when my rolls was used last - certainly not in the last few years. There's a good sub forum on B&B just for the rolls, and I've cleaned as much as I could using that guide. In the absence of anything else, I've olive oiled the strop (not that it was too dry), and did around 100 passes on the hone.

I've a feeling that if I did a good few hundred passes on the hone that the blade would recover even further, maybe i'll do a hundred a day until saturday. Then maybe I'll try that ATG on the neck...!

Impster,

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Did you use provided hone or did you use other hones? I used Nortons on mine and they worked very well.

I look forward to your feedback on a full shave my friend.

impster said:
yup. that's 'dwelling' on my mind already...

not sure when my rolls was used last - certainly not in the last few years. There's a good sub forum on B&B just for the rolls, and I've cleaned as much as I could using that guide. In the absence of anything else, I've olive oiled the strop (not that it was too dry), and did around 100 passes on the hone.

I've a feeling that if I did a good few hundred passes on the hone that the blade would recover even further, maybe i'll do a hundred a day until saturday. Then maybe I'll try that ATG on the neck...!

100? Did you conduct any sharpness tests? Initially couldn't get mine to pass with dry shave test. With the straight however, the actual shave is most indicative of a shaveready razor while thumb pad test ( TPT ), HHT ( hanging hair test ) or TNT ( thumb nail test ) are good indicators it's not conclusive.

thunb nail test is used to check your initial bevel is set so would not use on this one as allready shaving it will only damage the edge at this stage.

thumb pad test is running a wet thumb pad along the edge barlay touching it if really sharp you should feel it digging in (remember real light touch required here)

hanging hair test involies bring a hair down on the edge to see if it slices through it this one is a bit controversal as it depends where you take the hair from how dense it is and every ones hair differs in density.

Thumb pad works well for me because I'm used to it, but the hanging hair is probably the best indicator of a really sharp edge. To paraphrase Neil: some razors shave well but won't pass the HHT, but all razors which do pass will shave well. That said, it's a cause of a great deal of grief amongst honers ...

Pedro pretty much covered it.

When I initially started these tests didn't make sense to me. After awhile you become accustomed to it. You notice things you haven't before. Like when a razor starts to tug or get dull ( simply goes over whisker ).

Arrowhead said:
Thumb pad works well for me because I'm used to it, but the hanging hair is probably the best indicator of a really sharp edge. To paraphrase Neil: some razors shave well but won't pass the HHT, but all razors which do pass will shave well. That said, it's a cause of a great deal of grief amu pongst honers ...

Andy,

I couldn't agree more my friend. Some razors work well for tests and others don't. I didn't employ TNT much. Like you, TPT works for me. As far as HHT, I do this just as well. I don't know if you'd call it overkill because I always dry shave test before going into full shave.

Wow.

Completely baffled now.

Had a shave with the rolls this morning, after carefully and slowly honing last night. The thumb pad test was a success (so I thought), with the blade trying to bite into my thumb at all angles.

Stropped it this morning, and had my shave.

Bloody awful shave this morning. Was pushed for time so had to get the electric shaver out in the end.

Erm, great fun these Rolls Razors!

Back
Top Bottom