First ever DE shave

As some of you will know i am very knew to this and only just starting to get together kit of my own, so this is my first ever go at this.

I used a Gillette Slim Adjustable, set on 3, which i have via the lending pool from John.

The blade used was a Voskhod triple coated

i had to use boots shaving gel as this was the only stuff i currently have in the house until i can get some soap and a brush.

and i prepared by having a shower and exfoliating my face.

All i can really say is that everything i have read is true, this is by far the closest and most enjoyable shave i have ever had and the multi-blade disposable razors i used to use don't compare at all.

The first pass was very smooth, the 2nd and 3rd were a bit scratchy almost, but i suspect this will be more due to my technique.

I have quite sensitive skin so i usually get a few nicks and a bit of razor rash but that hasn't happened with this razor.

I can well and truly say i am hooked and look forward to shaving tomorrow.

I would like to thank everyone who has given me advice up to this stage as it has been greatly appreciated.

Matt

Deckchair_Blue said:
As some of you will know i am very knew to this and only just starting to get together kit of my own, so this is my first ever go at this.

I used a Gillette Slim Adjustable, set on 3, which i have via the lending pool from John.

The blade used was a Voskhod triple coated

i had to use boots shaving gel as this was the only stuff i currently have in the house until i can get some soap and a brush.

and i prepared by having a shower and exfoliating my face.

All i can really say is that everything i have read is true, this is by far the closest and most enjoyable shave i have ever had and the multi-blade disposable razors i used to use don't compare at all.

The first pass was very smooth, the 2nd and 3rd were a bit scratchy almost, but i suspect this will be more due to my technique.

I have quite sensitive skin so i usually get a few nicks and a bit of razor rash but that hasn't happened with this razor.

I can well and truly say i am hooked and look forward to shaving tomorrow.

I would like to thank everyone who has given me advice up to this stage as it has been greatly appreciated.

Matt

Congratulations!

Your shave will improve so much more when you get a brush and soap too.

I too found that I got less cuts switching to DE, I did stupid things with my cartridge as I got careless, I cut my ear a few times! I think knowing that a DE blade is so sharp, you treat it with more respect and more carefully, resulting in less cuts.

Don't get complacent though, my first shave went well, then the next was pretty damn awful. Stay on 3 for a while, and stick with the Voshkods for a while too, let your face get used to it. That's where I went wrong, I got a bit carried away, but stick with what you know, and remember the light touch. I found this the hardest bit to do right, in fact only the last 3 weeks I can really say I've done that.

Well done though, it just keeps getting better and better!

chrisbell said:
Well done! If it's any consolation, 2 1/2 years after getting into DE shaving I still occasionally have to remind myself not to apply pressure.

I know what you mean, although in the past 3 weeks I haven't applied pressure, it's not second nature and I still have to tell myself. I've just became less concerned with getting BBS and trying to force it with pressure.

It would be interesting to go back to a cartridge now, as I realise I had so many bad habits when shaving with a cartridge. For example, I did one pass ATG, and once the lather was gone I just kept going over and over an area until it was adequately smooth for me.

It seems crazy now. If I ever did for travel reasons or anything else, I think just understanding more about shaving and technique would improve my shave by miles.

Back
Top Bottom