First ever DE shave today

Well i had my first ever shave with a DE razor today (mines a merkur 42)
i didnt cut myself which is a good start but my technique was poor mainly because i was shacking like a dog :lol: & scared id cut myself and die.

i missed alot of hairs because i think i took the idea of no pressure appart from the razor abit to seriously (the blade hardly touched my cheek in parts lol) but were i did just let the razor do its job the shave was ok. i only shaved in one direction today i hope in a few week to build up the confidentto try and shave across the grain.

still need to by a brush and pot.

i dont know how you guys with streight razors do it. i was pooping myself trying to use a DE razer :lol:

think i still have alot to learn i'll try again tomorrow.

cheer guys

Congrats on the 1st attempt! I was nervous of my 1st shave but you have to remember that its called a safety razor as you can't do any really serious damage with one. Nobody's ever taken a slim adjustable to a knife fight!

Yes you do need a brush and decent soap etc as its the prep and using proper product rather than canned goo which is more important than the razor to be honest.

There is a sticky worth reading here

Thanks for the link will read a little later.

just had a second shave went better got a little nic on my neck by hay ho all part of learning.

i held the razor lower down the shaft and just let the weight of the head and blade push down on the skin.

Best bit of shaving advice I ever picked up was off this very forum:-

Just take the lather off and the beard will follow. I'm not sure who takes the credit for that!

Best shave yet tbh almost Baby smooth just missed alittle under my chin two two tiny cuts too.

hoping for a baby smooth skin shave tomorrow :shave

whoop a perminnent covert to DE shaving now only way to go is streight shaving in a few years :D

Well done, keep at it, not much pressure, short strokes, good lather and prep and you will improve in no time; once technique gets better the enjoyment goes up as well...

Oh, and... - you may not imagine yourself shaving with a straight few years down the line but never say never... ;)

skinnyjoe313 said:
... scared id cut myself and die.

You know they're called safety razors for a reason don't you? You have to be going some to be able to make a big dent in yourself... and then probably have some sort of blood clotting disorder for it to be other than annoying (rather than the "Emergency - Ward 10" life-threatening scenario you paint).

hey great post.
Shaking will not improve your technique!!
I started in Jan this year and now am getting some good results.
Enjoy the moment dont worry about the end result. I love the chasing the lather off advice.
A mate who is ex army said that they taught new shavers (recruits) just to remove the lather without a blade to start with!! making sure they did panels on the face, held the razor correctly and just two passes both with the the grain!
Keep the faith,
kindest,
Tim.
PS in Lincolnshire too. Nr Hull..

first baby smooth shave today took all in all 10 mins too

very happy but face is sore i have senstive skin did 1 pass with the gain then across the grain and finaly against the grain :)

stinging from the styptic pencil

hoping too keep improving well be getting my shaving brush in the post in a few days at the moment im just having the lather from the Palmolive then applying to my face.

impressed with my tiger blades too tho really want to try some gillette super thins :shave

PS iv stopped shaving now :D

Back
Top Bottom