First encounter with 'The Fat'!

Since so many people rave about Mitchell's Wool Fat, I decided I had to at least give it a go...

Mitchells by ashtreehouse, on Flickr

I was a bit nervous about this purchase - so many people have said it's hard to get a decent lather from it - heck, there's even a Mantic video on YouTube showing 7 methods to try to get it to lather properly! I was thinking, 'Hey this stuff might be good, but I ain't gonna spend fifteen minutes just trying to get any soap to lather up!!!'

So here's what happened: Opened the pack. It all seemed a tad over-packaged, and the puck of soap looks a shade small for the (cool) ceramic tub. Anyway, I gave it a couple of swirls with my wet brush and just went direct to on-face lathering, expecting miserable results.

And darn it, in seconds it was foaming up as thick and creamy as anything from Taylor's or Trumper! And I don't think it was because our water is specially soft - kettles here fur up regularly. So, while your mileage may vary, I had NO problems lathering this stuff.

I've also read posts by people who clearly didn't like the scent. I was almost expecting some sort of ovine stink! But no - it's a perfectly acceptable scent. Not my favourite, by a long way - I still love my almond-scented soap - but it's absolutely fine, in an non-outstanding 'Bluebeard's Revenge' kinda way.

But the absolute shocker (for me) was how my skin felt afterwards. Really, REALLY good. In fact it's nearly 6.30PM as I type this, and it still feels good!

Now I understand why this soap has a cult-like status among some people. And now I'm one of them!!

And the little ceramic tub even looks great alongside my other shaving stuff (see pic).

If you've never tried this stuff, I recommend you give it a go.

What type of brush did you use?
(I am sutre ythat makes a difference)

I am a great lover of Mitchells Wool Fat too.
To me, the scent of a soap is secondary. If I want scent, then I use a nice aftershave!

IMHO a soap has a primary purpose. Lathering.
If it lathers VERY well, then it is doing its job.

Of all of my stable of soaps, the two at the top of the list are:
1. Arko
2. Mitchells Wool Fat

Rod

It's good stuff - especially for the price.

A good tip it to lather one side of the cake and put the cake in the ceramic dish THAT face down. As the lather dries it'll weld itself to the bottom.

Also with regular use the soap will expand to fill the bottom of the jar.

Oh, and don't be surprised to find the soap cracked one day . . . pefectly natural and doesn't affect the performance one bit . . . in fact it IMPROVES with regular use.

Dagnabbitt . . . I've got to get some more now.

planning to try the fat soon.

I had read somewhere that the kent soap we get in John Lewis is MWF itself in a different brand.

Can any of the experts comment on this

I've only had a sample of this soap. Quite a generous sample.

I had a nightmare with it! Tempted to try it again as I loved the smell but just always had a thin lather. And that's after following Mantics video too!

shamreez said:

I had read somewhere that the kent soap we get in John Lewis is MWF itself in a different brand.

Not an expert, but yes . . . it is the same soap.

shamreez said:

I've seen two different types of Kent soap in there. The stand alone soap is MWF, the one packaged with their mugs and bowls isn't.

They sell soap made by Vulfix and Mitchells.

The stuff labelled 'Kent' is rebranded MWF the other stuff . . . which smells of lavender . . . isn't.

If it says KENT then it is 100%, honest to goodness, Mitchell's Woolfat Soap.

Also love MWF. I was a bit apprehensive in trying at first with many reviews saying how difficult it was to lather but had no problem getting a thick, creamy lather from day 1. I like how it is quite a neutral scent so I can choose whichever scented a/s or edt I feel like without worrying about clashing scents.

Back
Top Bottom