First Cold in 18 months.

CjH

So I normally go for a bike ride on a Saturday morning with 1 or 2 friends but this Saturday just gone I woke up feeling unusually tired so I opted out of the ride :cry:. As the day progressed I felt worse developing a stuffy headache and sinus pain so on Sunday I decided I'd take a covid test.... Negative..... Later in the evening I was feeling really rough, so I decided to take another covid test.... (Hate those things....make me gag every time) again negative. And then it happened, the nose dribbles began, I'm not talking blowing my nose, it's that annoying type where for no reason as you are making a drink or texting ya friend your left nostril decides it's the Niagara falls and you race to find the nearest tissue before it's too late. By the end of Sunday evening I thought oh my goodness it's 'man flu' I've got 'man flu'. So went to bed after having some ginger and lemon tea with honey.
Monday morning came, I got up let the dog out for her morning.... Errr.... Y'know... Made myself a cuppa and continued to feel rough. My Mrs got some chicken soup from the local shops, I had that, and rested on the sofa most of the day watching different mind numbing videos on YouTube etc, by 5pm I was feeling much better the headache had lifted the sinus pain retreated. But still the nose dribbles....
I realized that it had been around 18 months since my last cold and started to ponder on the reason behind this.
Naturally I came to the conclusion that for the majority of 18 months we have been locked up in our own homes and practically been bathing in Alcohol hand wash and wearing masks. But recently I noted that a lot of people have not been doing so, for obvious reasons of course. But I thought how my body must have enjoyed not fighting colds for all that time and when a tiny cold virus came along it knocked me for six.
Why am I telling you all this? I don't have a clue, maybe it's the painkillers for the headache or maybe it's a deep down feeling the need to share with others who understand the woes of Man Flu.

Last edited:
A Colleague of mine passed a PCR Test
three days later passed an antigen test,
8 hours after that passed another Antigen test,
Quarantined in Norway for 7 days on his own and the very last PCR test to get out of quarantine he tested positive.
At first all the doctors thought it was a false positive but it wasn’t he had it.
Everyone needs to take extra care, the virus is still here & effecting life’s.
Hopefully yours is no more than a common cold & you’ll be back up and running soon.
All the very best & Good Luck

Just a couple of things, if you're over 50 you can now get the flu jab for free so worth doing if you're of that age or even paying for one if you're not. The benefits of chicken soup are widely known, you still can't beat getting a bird and sticking it in a pot with a few veggies and preparing it yourself over shop bought if you can unless you live in a Yiddish part of town and have a good deli nearby.

Just a couple of things, if you're over 50 you can now get the flu jab for free so worth doing if you're of that age or even paying for one if you're not. The benefits of chicken soup are widely known, you still can't beat getting a bird and sticking it in a pot with a few veggies and preparing it yourself over shop bought if you can unless you live in a Yiddish part of town and have a good deli nearby.
Yeah I normally do make it myself, we just did it for simplicity.
I got a good few years before I get a free flu jab.

I also ment to add, that I found quite a useful shaving product to help with the cold...
When your nose and top lip start to get dry with all the tissue rubbing try applying some proraso menthol pre-shave . It burns a little on the newer skin but it helps soothe the dryness and the menthol helps you breathe more easily.
Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I have never heard nor read this bizarre expression "knocked for six" before. I had to look it up. :unsure:

Cricket. It's the bowler who is "hit for six" (so, a bad thing) when the batsman "knocks it out of the park" (which in US slang is a good thing).

Perhaps I'm a natural skeptic, but after removing all of the emotional rhetoric, much of the information on Covid-19 seems imprecise.

Regarding the testing - It would appear that the current testing procedures results may not be as accurate as we have been led to believe:

In https://www.fda.gov/media/134922/download, 4th pararaph under Intended Use

"Positive results are indicative of active infection with SARS-CoV-2 but do not rule out bacterial infection or co-infection with other viruses. The agent detected may not be the definite cause of disease."

Also, the US CDC withdrew the request for emergency approval of the RT-PCR testing panel.

---

I'm a bit of an old-timer, we got the smallpox vaccine, which to quote Lewis Black, "They scratched into your arm with a Coke cap," and that was about it. Polio vaccine came out in elmentary school, with a colored drop on a sugar cube. (We never did find out if we were the in control group or if we got the real stuff.) Everything else you got: measles (two kinds), chicken pox, mumps (not very common), the black plague, and eventually puberty.

The first two (measles and chicken pox) you looked forward to as you got to stay home from school for a week or two, no homework, bedrest, your mother pampering you a bit. Never knew or heard of anyone dying or becoming seriously ill from the "childhood diseases." The black plague we just shook off, but puberty did lay a few low.

Vaccines existed, but they were the old style; if your were vaccinated, then you did not get the disease and hence, you could not spread it. The mRNA seems to be a little lacking.

Back
Top Bottom